How to Fix Seat Heater - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

How to Fix Seat Heater

Ok my next project. Repair drivers side seat heater.

I check the plugs under the seat. They have voltage from the switch. So it appears its the element that is bad. (I even swapped the control module from driver/passenger sides). Passenger side heats, driver side doesn't.

The heating elements are not real expensive from gmpartsdirect.

Biggest question is how to remove the leather covers from the seat cushion and back?

There are plastic parts imbedded into the foam cushion and another plastic part on the leather which somehow fits into the part in the cushion. Hope that makes sense. I could not seem to release those plastic parts. I didnt want to pull to hard and tear something so I just stopped and wanted to ask here. Anyone have a DIY tutorial on removing the seat upholstery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Staff Alumni

I've never heard of a bad heating element, but I suppose it's possible.

I can't say for sure on the 'balt, as I have cloth seats, but I've done a few installs on leather seats in the past and they're all pretty much the same.

There's usually a plastic track of some kind on the bottom of the seat (affixed to the leather), joining the leather and the metal frame. Just slide the track off the frame and the leather should simply peel back with no problems. There's probably Velcro in crevices, too. Typically the crappy cloth seats are the ones you have to look out for... hog rings suck.

If the heating element is bad that may be a problem. They're usually bonded to the foam, so you may need to find a workaround there.

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

If its not the element what might it be? I had power to the plug but without taking off the leather I cant really check to see if there is power at the element or not.

To be honest, I would think if its the element either the seat or back would still heat. I have neither. I just assumed its the element.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Staff Alumni

First, are the heated seats a factory option on your vehicle or are they aftermarket? Sorry, I'm not sure what options are available on your particular vehicle... If you give more info on your vehicle it might help in determining a fix.

You mentioned you checked the plugs and they have voltage from the switch. When you're testing for continuity, where are you testing specifically? Your next step might be to check and make sure you have a good connection at the harness(es). If that checks out, depending on how the seat cushion and back are wired, it's possible that one of the wires has become abraded, breaking the circuit to both elements. Check for visible breaks in the wiring between elements. If no wires appear damaged, then I would probably strip the seats and inspect for a break in the element itself. You may very well be correct about it being the element (didn't mean to suggest otherwise). No way of knowing until you dig in, I guess!

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Factory leather seats.

I checked voltage at the plug under the seat. Has voltage on both the high/low setting. The wires from the plug run into the heater control module. (I think thats what its called, small circuit board under the seat). I swapped boards with the passenger side and the passenger side still heats. Now I did not check voltage at that plug. I will see if I can measure voltage on the lines from both seats and compare. If that is the same I guess I will have to figure out how to separate the seat and get the leather off the cushions so I can check right at the elements.

If I could find a working seat for the car at a salvage yard or something I think I would just go that route.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Ok my next project. Repair drivers side seat heater.

I check the plugs under the seat. They have voltage from the switch. So it appears its the element that is bad. (I even swapped the control module from driver/passenger sides). Passenger side heats, driver side doesn't.

The heating elements are not real expensive from gmparsdirect.

Biggest question is how to remove the leather covers from the seat cushion and back?

There are plastic parts imbedded into the foam cushion and another plastic part on the leather which somehow fits into the part in the cushion. Hope that makes sense. I could not seem to release those plastic parts. I didnt want to pull to hard and tear something so I just stopped and wanted to ask here. Anyone have a DIY tutorial on removing the seat upholstery?
Do you have part numbers for the heating elements? I was looking over at chevy parts and cannot find them.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

22730861 - Seat Back heater
22730866 - Seat cushion heater

They are special order parts. I dunno how difficult they are to get.

This was from GMPartsDirect.com
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Newcomer

I've ordered stuff from gm parts direct with no problem,
have you tried to fix this yet?
I'm having the same issue with my drivers side seat heater

pat
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

No I haven't tried. I am afraid I will screw up the seat by trying to remove the cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread