2009 Chevy Cobalt LS XFE Intermittently Won't Start for 5 - 15 Minutes - Page 2 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Contributor

Both the clutch switch and the ignition are good leads.

I've had the ignition problem and I don't think it prevented me from starting the car but rather wouldn't allow me to turn the key or take the key out of the ignition. Your video shows that the ignition switch is sending power, at least to the instrument panel...my guess is other things like the radio work as well??

I had a Nissan Pickup w/manual transmission and the clutch switch went on it twice. I think in both instances the problem presented intermittently, (e.g. sometimes the truck would start and sometimes not) and after a time, in both instances it stopped starting altogether. I remember when it happened the second time I was at a gas station and I got stuck at the pump and had to have the truck towed to the dealer.

The symptoms you describe may be more related to this clutch swith issue..but it's just a guess.

The clutch switch repair cost was about $100 or so for the Nissan...my guess is it won't be that much for the Cobalt.

Let us know what it was.

2010 Cobalt XFE
2006 Chevy Colorado 4x4
2005 Toyota Corolla
2013 Kubota M5640 SUD

Last edited by keegs; 12-07-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
Both the clutch switch and the ignition are good leads.

I've had the ignition problem and I don't think it prevented me from starting the car but rather wouldn't allow me to turn the key or take the key out of the ignition. Your video shows that the ignition switch is sending power, at least to the instrument panel...my guess is other things like the radio work as well??

I had a Nissan Pickup w/manual transmission and the clutch switch went on it twice. I think in both instances the problem presented intermittently, (e.g. sometimes the truck would start and sometimes not) and after a time, in both instances it stopped starting altogether. I remember when it happened the second time I was at a gas station and I got stuck at the pump and had to have the truck towed to the dealer.

The symptoms you describe may be more related to this clutch swith issue..but it's just a guess.

The clutch switch repair cost was about $100 or so for the Nissan...my guess is it won't be that much for the Cobalt.

Let us know what it was.
Already been there and done that! It sure was freaky not being able to take the key out of the ignition, but luckily it happened just before the dealership closed and luckily it's stick so I was able to stall it out easily to turn it off until they could fix it the next day. I've had a number of problems with this Cobalt already.

If this gets figured out I plan to let everyone know what it was. I'm not holding my breath though, as it seems the dealership isn't willing to do any work until they get it to happen on their watch, which probably means they'll do nothing at all
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Well it could also be, I do believe there's a starter relay but I'm not positive yet . Installing shop manual on my computer now.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Any one have any thoughts on this post I came across about common problems with Cobalts and Ions (and maybe the Pontiac G5 as well?) in another forum while Googling my car's symptoms?

Eaton Inside
Quote:
Q: My car won't start (sometimes on cold days), but if I wait 15 minutes it starts up just fine.

A: This is caused by the ignition electrical switch going bad. It has tiny resistors in it that the car uses for the anti-theft system. If the resistors get too cold or break, the car thinks it's been stolen, and you can't start it. The actual switch is about $40 from the dealer. The ignition switch is a black plastic unit that bolts to the left side of the ignition cylinder case. It's got some wires plugged into it, and it's pretty easy to get to and replace. However, you can't just swap it out, due to the VATS system. If you replace the ignition switch you have to go through the PassLock re-learn process, which takes about 30 minutes.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 04:40 AM
Contributor

Hey man....I'm curious about how you're doing with the starting problem. Any new developments?

2010 Cobalt XFE
2006 Chevy Colorado 4x4
2005 Toyota Corolla
2013 Kubota M5640 SUD
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Hey man....I'm curious about how you're doing with the starting problem. Any new developments?
They couldn't replicate it and I needed my car back, so I picked it up today. I'm not happy at all. I doubt they really did much of anything to try and figure it out. They didn't even try to start it this morning on the coldest day of the week. If this becomes a worse problem and they won't cover it with the warranty after it expires in a month, I'll never buy a GM car again.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Cobalt Master

Garage
so you have what sounds like an ignition or clutch pedal switch issue (a relatively inexpensive fix) and seeing as GM wont cover it cuz they cant prove its bad, your never going to buy GM again........

that makes absolutely no sense. you can have tiny problems like that with any car

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjachicken View Post
They couldn't replicate it and I needed my car back, so I picked it up today. I'm not happy at all. I doubt they really did much of anything to try and figure it out. They didn't even try to start it this morning on the coldest day of the week. If this becomes a worse problem and they won't cover it with the warranty after it expires in a month, I'll never buy a GM car again.
bummer ... maybe take it to another dealer? The guys at the dealership I go to treat me like I'm the mayor ... no kidding... if it's a relatively common problem and you have the video ..that shouldn't be a hard fix.

Good luck with it ...

2010 Cobalt XFE
2006 Chevy Colorado 4x4
2005 Toyota Corolla
2013 Kubota M5640 SUD
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlock View Post
so you have what sounds like an ignition or clutch pedal switch issue (a relatively inexpensive fix) and seeing as GM wont cover it cuz they cant prove its bad, your never going to buy GM again........

that makes absolutely no sense. you can have tiny problems like that with any car
It's the fact they didn't even try it this morning, which was after the coldest night of the week. If they can't be bothered to take my problem seriously and won't even cover the problem in the future after my warranty when I have it documented with a video, forget them. Good customer service means a lot to me, and after this I don't feel like GM wants me as a customer enough to make a real effort.

Quote:
bummer ... maybe take it to another dealer? The guys at the dealership I go to treat me like I'm the mayor ... no kidding... if it's a relatively common problem and you have the video ..that shouldn't be a hard fix.

Good luck with it ...
I guess I'll have to. I'm sure it'll act up again before the warranty is up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode