Check Engine Light - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Check Engine Light

I hope someone can help. I have an 2006 LS with over 118,000 miles on it. On my way home this morning, my check engine light came on. My concern is since I cannot get it read until Thursday but need to drive it to work Wednesday, in general, would it be safe? I have a 110 mile drive to work so it would be 220 round trip. I have no loss of power, my display shows no errors, car seems to run fine except the check engine light came on. Would it be advisable to disconnect my battery, and see if the check engine light being on was just a one time thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 08:29 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerExpert

i would say that if you havent noticed it running weird then you should be able to drive it until then, just be very cautious, and drive like an old woman. and please try to drive it as little as possible until you get it checked out.

and yes, unplug your battery and leave it off for 30 minutes, then plug it back in. this will clear any existing codes, and then see if it comes back.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

A few things to check that trigger the Check Engine Light (which you may already be aware of, but wanted to assist as best I could):
Did you recently fill up? Make sure that the fuel cap is fully on.
Sometimes, if a vehicle is driven in wet conditions, a wet electrical system will trigger the check engine light.

Please post an update on what you learn when you do get the code read.

Sarah
GM Customer Service

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Prospect

eng light

last winter the same problem was had by my cobalt . took a reading and it said misfire on no. 1 cyl. the light would go out then return . dealer couldn't find nothing . they swapped coils and check plugs , at the time the light was out . private garage said the same thing . a couple of months later I returned to the dealer and told them to keep it till it was fixed . call corp. if you need but fix it . at the time it had about 80k . 90 min. later they gave me a rentel while they ordered a new cyl. head . that took care of it ..
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Prospect

check eng light

also had the same problem a couple of yeare ago . only a dealer could get info from computer on vehicle .. dealer said it was a module (part) in computer and dealt with emissions .. they said feds mandated the warrenty because it dealt with emissions .. warr. had expired and still no $$$ on my part. was fixed for free .. good luck with urs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode