Recently Tuned Up My 2008 LT1 SE Cobalt - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Recently Tuned Up My 2008 LT1 SE Cobalt

I bought it used about a week ago, dirt cheap might I add. Anyway, I opted to have the car serviced from top to bottom. I mean everything I could think of... When I first picked up the car last week it ran a bit rough, nothing major, but it was a concern. Have had the new plugs in a week now and man it seems like it runs smoother every day.

Now the car had 66k on it when I bought it, it is a 5 speed manual and had a new clutch put in it before I grabbed it.

I know the manual says 100,000 miles for Spark plugs, but the mechanic showed me the plugs when he took them out and they were in poor condition. Of course I am not sure how the previous owner treated it, but alas... the car is running smooth and getting great mileage.

Today I had the Serpentine Belt replaced, had quite a few cracks in it and from how much the mechanic had to wiggle and jiggle to get it out and the new one in... makes me wonder if it wouldn't have been easier to replace it from underneath as opposed to from the top.

Also had the manual tranny service... All fluid drained and replaced. She is purring like a kitten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I think you should have posted this in the lounge.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Contributor

It's up to 100k on most intervals pending on driving conditions. I bet the car was driven hard. My car for instance, due to the FL heat and traffic i've gone through, i'll be servicing the fluids before 100k.

2010 Cobalt 2LT Victory red Coupe
Mods: Tinted 50% ceramic all around, factory spoiler, 2008 LE5 2.4 Throttle body, GMPP Intake, Walker stock exhaust system (back to silence), TruBendz/MBE 2.5" catted Downpipe, HP Tuners by Chenry Motorsports, Alpine CDE-151 with USB port, Rockford Fosgate 300-10

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Cliff, I agree... I think it might of been driven hard, or was just poorly maintained by previous owner... judging by the amount of door dings, and rip int he driver seat and condition of the floor carpet I don't think maintenance was a high priority.

However, I am doing what I can to restore it back to like new condition.

I noted in the welcome thread, when I signed up it will also need a radiator fan. the bearing is making noise... so I had that ordered, and I did order a driver seat from a salvage yard out of New Hampshire.

Once I get it running to my standards, and for those curious as to my standards... I work in Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance and while most of the industry plays the quality card 50/50 to keep costs in check, I don't do that at my job, nor do I allow the team I supervise to do it either. I have a pretty strong conviction on QA.

Normally I would never buy a car in this condition with that kind of mileage on it... but my mom owned a G5 back in 07 and when I would go to visit I would run around in it... taking her shopping or whatever she needed, just so we could spend time together... for some reason that car left a major impression on me, much like the Mustang did back when I bought my first one in 1988 (Showing my age there a bit)

as I said, maintenance and small issues aside I love this little car. I am hoping to see it hit 250,000 miles before I finally decide to get rid of it... but in the mean time i will fix it up here and there... and keep it maintained.

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
I think you should have posted this in the lounge.
Just so it is in the right thread I noted the radiator fan issue

See above ^^^^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode