Replacing the Steering Wheel - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Replacing the Steering Wheel

Are all steering wheels going to work on my wife's cobalt. What I mean is that they seem to be identical from Cobalts to G5 to saturn sky........

Other questions.....my GM tech "activated" cruise....the pin position is "populated" so in essence I should just be able to put a steering wheel with the cruise control buttons...

Next....what if the wheel as the volume control buttons....are those going to work as well?

Thanks for the help....much appreciated

Sylvain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Staff Alumni

Knowing the year and trim level would help us answer that for you. There seems to be a lot of variance, based on what you've got.

I'm actually going to be doing this mod in sometime in the next couple days and can give better information after it's done. As far as I know, '06 and earlier use a 4-spoke wheel, so you wouldn't be able to do a direct swap with a later model wheel. '07-'10 use the 3-spoke, so an SS wheel should work.

As far as the radio controls, that's the question I have been unable to get answered. I've read a lot of forum posts at cobalt sites, and from what I can tell, it should work plug-n-play. There is a way to wire it if it doesn't, but it involves tinkering with the clockspring, which is not something I'm willing to do for the minimal gain.

I hope to do a how-to, but in case you dive in earlier, just make sure you disconnect your battery leads, wait 5 minutes for the backup power supply to discharge, and pull the SRS fuse before you get going on it.

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

My wife's cobalt is an 09 LT

Cheers!

S.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Staff Alumni

Based on what I've read, the 09 should be good to go for radio controls. Should just be a direct swap. Let us know how it goes!

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Will do....

S.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

So...after months of ooooing and ahhhhing .....it's done....Bought and Leather steering wheel on E-bay with cruise and radio controls.....and it worked. Radio, and cruise work....the talk button only mutes the radio but that's ok. Had the GM guy activate the cruise function and had no issues...swapping the wheel took like 20 minutes....not even enough time to finish my beer

Aftermarket cruise .....WHAT A WASTE when you can just swap out the wheel and activate the computer and it is basically FACTORY!

S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode