Cobalt Wont Start - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Cobalt Wont Start

So I switched my old headlight harness with a new headlight harness with fog lights. I forgot to put my auto starter on service mode before I disconnected the battery and I believe that could be the problem. When I turn the key to the to the on position; the lights and everything works. Only when I try to turn it over it doesn't make a sound or do anything except turn the headlights off for a quick second, but I noticed that is what my car did since I first had it. Also it says to service airbag. If anyone could point me to where it could most likely caused this, because I have no fricken idea. Your help is appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Was it runing before you changed the harness?

I was under the impression it cranked but did not start. Your remote start is in parallel with regular ignition and won't stop your key from starting the car. If you have voltage at the starter you have to look at the cranking part of the circuit. Crank relay,crank fuse, fusible links. I will look up schematics and edit this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B+Cobalt ND.jpg
Views:	1052
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	149  

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 12-25-2011 at 09:11 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Forum Regular

I thought all Balts already had the Foglight option in the Harness, but it was just tied up and tucked away if your Balt didn't come with a foglights?

Being the QA guy I am.... have you checked all the connections to make sure they're tight and secure?

Does the starter at least try to crank when you turn the key? Or is it not making any noise?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Thanks for the replies, no it doesn't even send a crank. The battery is strong, and always started as soon as I turned the ignition. It doesn't even make a sound and the key will go to ignition, just not start. Also thanks Coby for informative replies, but I don't know how to check those relays or where they're at. I do want to include that none of my readings work, because it says service air bag. I'm going to try to record a video and show it to some dealerships around the area. And when I say area I mean one dealership 15miles away and the next few dealerships are 90 miles lmfao (update) So I forgot to tell everyone that I did switch the two plugs around, I cut off the 6 way plug and spliced in the 4 way. I seen that only my binkers and brights work, and when I press the wiper solution button or try to use the wipers; it doesnt work. Is this the problem? I wired them according to the color, only purple and pink aren't hooked to anything.

Last edited by NDcobalt; 12-26-2011 at 08:03 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
op did you ever get this solved?
i think i'm having at least a very similar problem, full power but no crank, with service airbag signal
as far as getting the car started i've found turning the headlights to 'on' at the same time as the key will make it start.

and just recently my fog lights have completely quit working, i thought it was something to do with my ballasts but even the factory setup wouldn't work. i'm under warranty and it's going to the dealership this weekend. i'd just like to have an idea of what it is.

Make it pretty, and she'll think it's fast.
Jake1295/2008 LT (Balto)/Fayetteville, AR
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1295 View Post
i think i'm having at least a very similar problem, full power but no crank, with service airbag signal
as far as getting the car started i've found turning the headlights to 'on' at the same time as the key will make it start.

and just recently my fog lights have completely quit working, i thought it was something to do with my ballasts but even the factory setup wouldn't work. i'm under warranty and it's going to the dealership this weekend. i'd just like to have an idea of what it is.
I see you're planning on going in to your dealership this weekend; I hope that everything goes well, and if I can be of any assistance please let me know!

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Being the QA guy I am.... have you checked all the connections to make sure they're tight and secure?

Does the starter at least try to crank when you turn the key? Or is it not making any noise?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they were all secure. The problem was resolved by slicing back my four plug into my old headlight harness and discarding the new 07 corvette harness.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1295 View Post

I solved that problem by slicing back four plug into my old headlight harness, I'm pretty sure that gm changed(added some new features) for the 07-09 cobalts. I noticed the quaintancidence when I received my newer cd player for a 07 cobalt. BTW that is pretty sweet finding out how to use that. I just wanted to be able to use my oem fog switch on my dash:/

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCustSvc View Post
I see you're planning on going in to your dealership this weekend; I hope that everything goes well, and if I can be of any assistance please let me know!

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Yes, I resolved the problem after re-installing my old headlight harness back into my car. I see that your a little late in responding to the thread, but I thank you for your persistence!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode