An Abundance of Annoying Issues!! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thumbs down An Abundance of Annoying Issues!!

So... I have a 2006 Cobalt LT. I bought it in 2007 Used.

Since I bought it:
I have been through two shifters, in an automatic. The buttons keep breaking and then it doesn't go into park so it doesn't start.

My locks are possessed. It's the only explanation I can come up with. I have resorted to disconnecting my power locks because otherwise the locks go up and down on their own and I can't figure out why!

It idles rough. Have not been able to figure that out either. If I stop at a light I have to put my car into Neutral or it just shakes the whole time. It's irritating!

Snow and Ice are my enemy. Even with 4 brand new top of the line snow tires. I live in Canada. That sucks.

My trunk can only be opened by the button inside, which is fine, as long as the battery isn't dead. Which used to happen a lot due to the lock issue.

It is currently running COLD (60-70^C) and it doesn't matter what temp it is outside.

If anyone can suggest something to fix at least one of these irritating little issues I am beyond open to suggestions. My dad is my mechanic and he's been stumped for years by this P.O.S. If I could afford to, I would just get rid of the stupid thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
Locks and trunk could be a messed up key fob or dead battery(in the key fob, not car batt). Idle, I would clean the MAF sensor and throttle body, if they have not been touched that could be it or atleast help as they can get oily due to the oil return which dumps into the intake. As for snow and tires, cannot help you, you have apparently the best tires for the conditions so it sounds like that all on mother nature. These cars are pretty decent in bad weather but to a point, like any car.

What do you mean by running cold? heat for the car or the motor itself? I am no expert on that stuff as far as heater core and things but it could be out or have an issue somewhere to where it wont get hot.

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki118 View Post

Since I bought it:

It idles rough. Have not been able to figure that out either. If I stop at a light I have to put my car into Neutral or it just shakes the whole time. It's irritating!

Could be an ignition coil. Have you read the obd2 codes?

Snow and Ice are my enemy. Even with 4 brand new top of the line snow tires. I live in Canada. That sucks.

I always liked Canada...

My trunk can only be opened by the button inside, which is fine, as long as the battery isn't dead. Which used to happen a lot due to the lock issue.

Sound like it may be related to you hokie door locks...may be the FOB

It is currently running COLD (60-70^C) and it doesn't matter what temp it is outside.

Thermostat maybe...should be an inexpensive part to replace and is and easy DIY job.

2010 Cobalt XFE
2006 Chevy Colorado 4x4
2005 Toyota Corolla
2013 Kubota M5640 SUD

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Veteran

Garage
idk about the other stuff but for the rough idle have u tried some lucas upper cylinder injector cleaner? that might help its like $4 at auto part store. or maybe worn out motor mount?

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I think your car just needs some TLC.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Forum Regular

[quote=Corki118;548589]So... I have a 2006 Cobalt LT. I bought it in 2007 Used.

Since I bought it:

I have been through two shifters, in an automatic.....I'm not sure on this one. It's a Cobalt thing. I've been through one in my 06 LT.

It idles rough.....Rough idle + shaking = Misfire. Not sure on a fix. Been fighting one in mine for over a year now. Hoping to FINALLY have a fix on mine here in a few weeks. I've replaced plugs (x2), coil pack, injectors, throttle body, fuel filter, and run seafoam and dry gas trying to fix it. Mine gets the shakes from time to time, plus she stalls out on me in the winter if it's below 30 F out.

My locks are possessed....Got a SIMPLE fix for this one. Replace the driver's side lock switch. I had this last year also, and the hubby replaced the lock switch and I've had NO problems since! (Neither have a couple of local friends/Balt owners.) Here in the states, it's a $20ish part.

My trunk can only be opened by the button inside.....And manually with the key, I'm assuming? Crappy Chevy key fob. Search on google for "Chevy Key Fob fix". Basically the connections aren't touching together like they should. I think there's also a DIY fix on here somewhere, but I haven't tried it yet.

It is currently running COLD (60-70^C) and it doesn't matter what temp it is outside. Not sure on this one. Mine runs about 82-87 C (180-190 F, and yes, I used a converter. :-)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Forum Regular

[quote=teri2280;548954]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki118 View Post

Since I bought it:

I have been through two shifters, in an automatic.....I'm not sure on this one. It's a Cobalt thing. I've been through one in my 06 LT.

It idles rough.....Rough idle + shaking = Misfire. Not sure on a fix. Been fighting one in mine for over a year now. Hoping to FINALLY have a fix on mine here in a few weeks. I've replaced plugs (x2), coil pack, injectors, throttle body, fuel filter, and run seafoam and dry gas trying to fix it. Mine gets the shakes from time to time, plus she stalls out on me in the winter if it's below 30 F out.

My locks are possessed....Got a SIMPLE fix for this one. Replace the driver's side lock switch. I had this last year also, and the hubby replaced the lock switch and I've had NO problems since! (Neither have a couple of local friends/Balt owners.) Here in the states, it's a $20ish part.

My trunk can only be opened by the button inside.....And manually with the key, I'm assuming? Crappy Chevy key fob. Search on google for "Chevy Key Fob fix". Basically the connections aren't touching together like they should. I think there's also a DIY fix on here somewhere, but I haven't tried it yet.

It is currently running COLD (60-70^C) and it doesn't matter what temp it is outside. Not sure on this one. Mine runs about 82-87 C (180-190 F, and yes, I used a converter. :-)

Might want to check your MAS (mass Air flow sensor, sometimes they can wiggle loose, or the ire go bad and it gives a false reading but not enough to code... Check it and try cleaning it and putting it back in... it may be the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode