Paid for remote car starter install - issues - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Paid for remote car starter install - issues

first thing first is they couldn't complete the job because of this. So it was never working.

After trying to put one in myself and realizing I didn't have everything I need. Interface module. And didn't want to wait to order one offline. I decided to have a company put one in

After trying with my brother to put one in we disconnected the unit and put everything back together. But after that we were having an issue with the ignition not going into the off position. I already knew a quick fix for that since I had an issue with my car (cobalt)(installing starter in girl friends car) well she never had this issue before. Only once but it went away after that time like mine did. I don't know if we messed something up and if so what we may have done might be the problem with the starter.

I left the place in a hurry. Had to race to work aand couldn't get much info on what went wrong but what I know is that he said a wire is dead. Ie no voltage to the wire. And its not letting it program. I don't know what wire but since they said it was a prior issue that they can't do anything with it etc. So I paid 400$ for everything and install and nnow have a remote starter installed that doesn't work. Hitting the button on the remote start kicks on the 4 ways for a few secs. But only kicks them on every couple mins after spamming the button on the keyfob.

So my question is. What could be wrong. Could something be miswired. Snipped wired? And does any oone know a fix for this issue. Thanks for all the help in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
What wire has no power? What color is it? And where is it?

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

I emailed the company for more info on what wire it is etc but haven't heard back yet. I'm probably gunna call them soon to find out.

Any idea without this info? I'm at work so I cant ccheck anything

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

I called them and they said they will email me in the morning.

Still looking for possible answers. I dont even know where to begin...

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Expert

Garage
ive done 3 remote starters in cobalts now and each one has been a huge pain. Usually the bypass module doesn't program properly. I suggest starting there. Cobalts don't use an ignition wire FYI...they have a voltage supplied to the starter wire and accessory wire, and once the voltage is dropped from one of them (can't remember which), the car turns over. So if you have an ignition wire hooked up, its done wrong.

Tough to say anything else without actually seeing it. Post back when you find out the wire in question and what they have hooked up to it. Also the brand of starter and bypass module would help too.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

First I'd like to say thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it

They finally emailed me back and this is what I got:

Cover off steering column bottom A wire hanging by each of (2) scotch locks by solenoid at ignition switch. It is possible that one or both of these wires touched ground. Wires found in question above may have damaged a circuit since blown fuse under hood was found and replaced. Replacement of fuse did not resolve programming issue. There are three components that must work together in proper sequence in the ignition switch system for installation and programming to be successful. Your brother may or may not have caused this damage. There are ignition key issues online with many stories on this subject. The remote starter is installed and ready for programming as soon as the fault is corrected. As discussed, no additional charge for programming, providing it is completed successfully. That is reliant upon repair. Two hours of time is allowed for an install on this vehicle. We have at this point 4 plus hours. Any additional time will be billed at $63.00 per hour plus applicable supplies.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Having problems with uploading a picture. I'm keeping the cover off so next time she's over I can take a picture from wherever I need to.

Remote car starter model:
Code Alarm. CA-4552

Another funny thing that happens is when I click the remote car starter button when the doors are open it will set off the chime for door open and keys in the ignition.
The chime will not go off now since my brother was messing with it and install a remote car starter ourselves.

So since we messed with it. The ignition won't go in off without the button and the chime doesn't work while keys are in and door is open

Any ideas?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Expert

Garage
The chime thing is a factory warning that the doors are now set to lock once theyre closed. Nothing to do with the starter. If they arent going on now tho, then yeah you messed something up.

I'd suggest you test each wire you used and see if its connected right. Really if the car is running right now, I don't know why they couldn't set it up to work. You're only really tapping into 5 or 6 wires for a basic starter and if they arent working for the starter, the car shouldn't be running at all, or they arent hooked up right. Again I want to say its the by[ass module....any info on that?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

She doesn't have power locks. So I don't know what your talking about with the chime. I said the chime doesn't go on when key is in theignition and you open your door like warning you. Hey you forgot your keys. Ill have to see the module anothertime. I couldn't get down where they put. Have to go down again. Thought someone only needed the starter model

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Expert

Garage
ah, i just misunderstood the chime thing. I was thining of the alarm setting itself with the door open.

like I said above, just basically check all the wires are working as they should and are connected to the right wires on the starter. If theyre all hooked up right, I'll bet its just the programming of the bypass module.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode