Unscrewed the Antenna--now the Antenna Mounting is Loose - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Question Unscrewed the Antenna--now the Antenna Mounting is Loose

I put a Crescent wrench on the antenna flats and gave it a CCW turn to loosen it. The aerial did not come off. Instead, the whole unit inside the car turned. Now it is somewhat loose. I am concerned that rain and snow and road spray are going to get into the trunk.

Ultimately, I would like to remove the aerial so that I can drive through an automatic car wash.

It is a 2009 Cobalt. The aerial has never been removed.

How do I tighten this mounting? This just happened and I have not yet looked in the trunk when there was light. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Forum Regular

Same thing happened to me, it was a CHEAP weld job by the factory, if you pull the carpet back you will see where it broke.

As long as you placed the rubber piece back in all the way moisture will stay out.

Going to re-tack weld it this weekend... but first I am changing the mast because otherwise the next car wash is going to destroy it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Wow. I can't weld. Do you think I can epoxy it?
I think it got damaged by a car wash a while ago, because it had not been looking "right".

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Forum Regular

Epoxy would be fine... but any local mechanic with a welder could knock it out in 10 minutes.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Contributor

Why is your antenna a problem going through a car wash? It flexs, doesn't it? I do it all the time......
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Thanks, DJ. I removed the bracket when I had daylight (10mm socket). I see how the bracket was mounted to the antenna base. I distorted the bracket last night when I put "a big ol' pair of Channelocks" on it last night, now the antenna base does not really align with the holes in the bracket. Oops

I pulled the antenna base out of the fender and wrenched the aerial off of the base. The threads were corroded and quite tight. I will have to clean the threads and grease them before I put it back together.

Before that, I have to figure out how to reassemble the antenna. The cable won't disconnect from the antenna base. I am going to have to reassemble "all this stuff" with the cable connected, and me working in the trunk of the car. In winter

Note to future viewers: the antenna base had two "knobs" that were mashed over to serve as two rivets to secure the antenna.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridinonrails View Post
Why is your antenna a problem going through a car wash? It flexs, doesn't it? I do it all the time......
The base looked out of place after the last time I went through the wash. I thought that water could get into the trunk. Then I started fussing with it and....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
antenna aerial

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode