Need Some Thoughts.... - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Need Some Thoughts....

My car has been fighting a misfire issue for over a year now, as most of ya'll know. Well, today, when I drove her to work, she was fine. Well, as fine as has been normal lately, considering the misfire. I parked her at work for 4 hours, and on my lunch, went to go to the pet store to get dog food. Didn't make it there. When I started her up, she cranked longer than normal before firing, and when she did fire, she was, and I kid you not, running louder than the 1972 pickup that my hubby is currently restoring. Buddy of my hubby's who's seen this before is saying timing chain/timing chain tensioner. Any other thoughts? No codes, no nothing. Also, could a bad timing chain or tensioner be causing my misfires? (I'm honestly hoping so, esp. if that's why she's louder than the 72...If I can kill 2 birds with one stone, that'd be GREAT!!!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Well my friend Randy had a 2005 G5 with similar problems where, he changed practically everything sensor on the engine to try and find what the problem was. Last saturday he got mad and we changed the engine in it for a junkyard engine with only 58000Kms. Started at 10:30am and we were done by 5:30pm. If it hadn't been for a few stubborn bolts between transmission and engine up by the firewall we would have finished a lot sooner. Engine was 400$ beer and pizza about 40$. G5 now runs like new and he says it never ran as good even when it was new. Next saturday we are going to dismantle the old engine slowly and methodically to see if we can figure out what made that engine run so bad and what made it so tempermental.

I know this is not answering your question but this was his answer and cheapest solution. Of course we didn't cost him a lot. Most garages want 500$ just for diagnostic and to change a fuse

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Oh, I forgot to mention about a 100$ for all new fluids and filter while we had it appart and drained.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 01-31-2012 at 07:29 AM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

I'm afraid to go swapping engines. I know, it might fix it, but my luck with cars, the "new" one will have the same problem. Yes, I have that much of a jinx on me with cars. I've owned 4 vehicles since I was 17, and 1 was totaled in an accident, 2 blew head gaskets, and then my problems with the balt. My hubby has 2 mechanic buddies who can do the labor, and we added up my hubby's price for parts last night. (He's an independent contractor body guy but he gets the "shop rate". I know it's not a lot, but it helps in times like this.) Just parts (new timing chain, new tensioner, new valve cover gasket, and another gasket, but I can't remember the name at the moment) will be about $200, and he's got 2 buddies who we'd trust to do the job that will probably do it for 2-300 labor. Granted, it's money that we don't really have right now, but considering that one of the buddies told us that the shop he works for just did another one on a Balt for $1200, I'll take it. :-) As far as the diagnostic scanner, my hubby has one, but it's older and doesn't work on my car, but that can be borrowed from the guy he works for. For some reason, his "boss" (for lack of a better term) is generally a hard-ass, but when it's got to do with my car, he's a total softie. :-)

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teri2280 View Post
For some reason, his "boss" (for lack of a better term) is generally a hard-ass, but when it's got to do with my car, he's a total softie. :-)
Must be your good looks!!!

Are you guys sure it's the chain? I mean it sounds like the chain, what kind of mileage? Did you do regular oil changes?

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Forum God

hey coby how difficult was changing out the engine? I can get a low mileage 2.2 here for around $400 as well, then swap forged internals into it, then swap it into my cobalt for more boost. just trying to decide if I should, and how long and how much work was involved in the swap. I'll be doing it with my dad so we'll be two. And I installed my turbo kit and all that so I am very knowledgeable and capable.

BboyTaktix
- 2011 Plasma Blue pearl WRX STI sedan
- SOLD -S256 TURBO 2.2 -SS/TC body, SS/Tc shocks/struts, B&G springs, 17"mags, TRS FX-R retrofits (50W/6000k)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Like I said aside from a few bolts near the fire wall it was a piece of cake. But you need the right tools and have to be careful not to break clips. There's a lot of clips, that car is held together with clips and plug inserts. Take pictures has you disassemble to make sure you put everything back the way it was. We took the whole front off then you can work and not have to worry about scratching or punching the rad. 5 or 6 hours is all it took. We were 3, actually more like 2 cuz Randy kinda slacked off.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Like I said aside from a few bolts near the fire wall it was a piece of cake. But you need the right tools and have to be careful not to break clips. There's a lot of clips, that car is held together with clips and plug inserts. Take pictures has you disassemble to make sure you put everything back the way it was. We took the whole front off then you can work and not have to worry about scratching or punching the rad. 5 or 6 hours is all it took. We were 3, actually more like 2 cuz Randy kinda slacked off.
well I'd make 2 days available for the install, or one really long day. We did pretty well with the turbo build considering my dad only helped me the first day, it took me about a day and a half and we did run into small issues along the way.
There's probably a how-to on engine swap for cobalts on one of the forums. I know a couple of members have done it.

Just trying to decide if it's worth it to invest $400 on a second 2.2 engine, $800 on forged rods and pistons and another $400-500 on better head studs and valve springs to be able to run more boost. I would essentially have an almost new engine afterwards, it would probably make the car last quite a bit longer as well. hmmm what to do :P

BboyTaktix
- 2011 Plasma Blue pearl WRX STI sedan
- SOLD -S256 TURBO 2.2 -SS/TC body, SS/Tc shocks/struts, B&G springs, 17"mags, TRS FX-R retrofits (50W/6000k)
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sorry teri2280 if this thread took a tangent. I know we are not helping you any here.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Must be your good looks!!!

Are you guys sure it's the chain? I mean it sounds like the chain, what kind of mileage? Did you do regular oil changes?
Not one hundred percent, but not much to go on with no codes. :-( She's got 68xxx miles. Oil changes every 3000 miles. It's been about a year since the last one, but I only drive about 12 miles a day, so she's just now due.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Sorry teri2280 if this thread took a tangent. I know we are not helping you any here.
No worries, will help me if it goes that far. From what I hear, that tensioner is a bitch to get to.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Sorry I haven't been on this for the past couple days, guys. On top of the car stuff I've got some medical stuff going on too. When it rains it pours!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm affraid your right about changing the chain, almost as hard as changing the engine. It's not the most obvious place to work and you have to tear down the whole front of the engine and I mean all of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode