Ceased Spark Plug ////?? Warped Head - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Ceased Spark Plug ////?? Warped Head

I own a 2007 Cobalt LS. I was attempting to change the plugs for the 100k check up (company car lots of travel). Plug #1 came out just fine. Plug #2 was seized. Plug #3 was fine and Plug #4 would not budge. I ended up breaking plug #2 (dam). I used#5 easy out screw to attempt to take out the broken plug. I could not believe that the torque broke the ratchet and the extension drive. This is after I let the plug soak in WD 40.
Last year I had to replace the radiator after a chunk of ice went through it. The motor over heated, but I was not sure for how long it ran HOT. The car got towed to a dealer and a new radiator was installed. The shop guys said everything else was fine. Now I am wondering if the Head is warped or the plug is “welded” into the head threads. I can take the head off and attempt to remove the ceased plugs but am wondering if it is worth the effort.
My questions are should I get a new Head and just replace the old one. Is there a way to tell if the head is warped in that area? (All the seals are good and therein e is no leakage). If the Head is salvageable what would be recommended to get the ceased plugs out?

Thank in advance
Scott in Vermont
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Expert

To be honest, I would replace the entire head, if its warped its a whole lot of trouble, and forcing of seized plugs could cause damage to the threads, If you can change it your self then so do, it will give you a chance to look at the inside of your engine and clean up a little. You should be able to find a used head for your engine pretty cheap, maybe about $200. The L61 engine is used in many models and should be easy to find. If you were to re use your one, it would cost about $100 to re-surface it then who knows how much to remove seized plugs or if you even can without damaging the thread on the head.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thank You RequestISO

Thanks for the advise. The least expensive Head I have found was $275. My next question is "how much of the engine do you have to tear down to remove and replace the Head. I know I will need to buy new bolts, and gaskets. When looking at the price of a "torque Angle tool " I about croked! Is 22 ft pounds good enough? If you have a site that would expidite this repair I would be most thankful.

Scott

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Torque angle tool? You should be able to use a torque wrench and be good, or does it call for an angle after torquing to spec?

The hardest part about replacing the head will be getting the timing back right, but if you're careful, it will be just fine. The intake manifold will need to be removed (along with most of the parts up to it), and the exhaust manifold will need to be unbolted from the head.

Let me print out what I see in the chilton manual.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Say What again!

Garage
Here are the two files from the Chilton manual
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Chilton - Cobalt 2_2 Head.pdf (138.5 KB, 153 views)
File Type: pdf Chilton - Cobalt 2_2 Timing Chain.pdf (146.9 KB, 448 views)

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks MP81

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

MP81 about the torque angle. Yes it calls for a 155 degree angle (what ever that means), the tool is over $500. This does not show up in the Chilton book. So I guess it is not needed just 26 foot punnds.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Say What again!

Garage
I saw it in the installation procedure. Shouldn't cost $500 though...

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-28100-Torque-Angle-Meter/dp/B0002STSW6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329847183&sr=8-1

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

MP81 Thanks again:
I think I may be confusing everyone. What I was refering to as the "head cover", is really the COVER. Engine Valve Rocker & Camshaft. This looks like the part I need to replace. The spark plugs and Coil wires are on the back side of the cover (standing infront of the bumper looking at the engine. The cost is $96 give or take and a gasket kit of aprox $36. So the whole fix should be in the ballpark of $132. No need for the "angle" tool. After looking at the whole engine specs I thought that draining the coolent was a bit much for this fix. Sorry that the names of items like "valve covers" get so complecated these days.
So am I correct in thinking all I need to change is this "Cover, Engine Valve Rocker & Camshaft, and the gasket?

STJScott
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 05:01 AM
Say What again!

Garage
You're talking about this, right?

That's the valve cover.

The spark plugs thread into the cylinder head.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

MP81:
GREAT!!!! (not really) So if you can't get this cover off due to the plugs stuck in the head. How would you break down the engine to get the plugs out? This is sounding like a very expensive fix! Since the plugs have never been changed since installed at the factory.

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...roduct=2668771

Last edited by STJScott; 02-23-2012 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Wrong URL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode