Coolant Reading - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Coolant Reading

I'm having very similar symptoms to this:

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/che...ding-temp.html

I replaced the coolant sensor, which did nothing, so I'm thinking the thermostat may have become sticky?

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Forum Regular

i would change the thermostat

09 SS/TC 4DR G85
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
GM Thermostats have a life expectency of 4 to 5 years. It is kept closed by a spring that when it gets hot looses it's strenght and lets coolant by. But with time this spring gets weak and lets coolant by all the time so it is unable to let engine attain optimal operating temperature of 90C or 195F. This is regular maintenance. Sometimes you will get a code stating that your vehicle hasn't reached operating temperature in the specified time.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Say What again!

Garage
So this is for sure my thermostat? I'd like it fixed, pretty sure it's hurting my gas mileage pretty good.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Expert

Remember not to get thermostat mixed up with coolant temp sensor.

The coolant temp sensor is responsible for telling you the temperature. The thermostat is there to prevent premature cooling, so as for no coolant temperature display, this would be your coolant temperature sensor, not a thermostat error.

Check the wires all the way to the ECM from the coolant temp sensor.

Old Car: Chevy Cobalt 2006 LS Sedan base (Automatic)

New Car: Chevy Impala 2011 LT Fully Loaded (Automatic)
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Say What again!

Garage
I didn't get them mixed up. I already replaced the coolant temp sensor. From what it seems (though odd), is that the thermostat is the culprit - when I do get a coolant reading which is about 40% of the time, most of the time it runs at or below 170, hell, half the time in the winter it never even got to full operating temp on a 45 minute drive.

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Expert

A faulty thermostat will cause it to take a long time to get to optimal operating temperature, but this will not likely fix your coolant reading issue, I would check all the wires coming from the coolant temp sensor all the way to the ECM, make sure nothing is open, it seems something is loose as it works sometimes and not others.

No matter what the condition of your thermostat, you should always get a coolant temperature reading.

I believe I have a sticky thermostat too as mine takes a while to heat up, but I have no coolant reading issues, replacing your thermostat may let your car get to optimal operating temps, but it will not likely fix your coolant reading issue, just check for connectivity to the sensor from the ECM.

If your on a 45 minute drive in the winter, it would be very hard for your car to heat up anyway, all that cold air rushing through the grilles into the condenser and radiator will act like a very good cooling fan. (replace thermostat to fix this)

Last edited by johnccc; 03-13-2012 at 11:37 AM.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnccc View Post
If your on a 45 minute drive in the winter, it would be very hard for your car to heat up anyway, all that cold air rushing through the grilles into the condenser and radiator will act like a very good cooling fan. (replace thermostat to fix this)
I have a 1.5 hour drive one way, five days a week. Not one of those days has my car not gotten up to operating temp outside of the first 15 minutes on the road.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Expert

I get that often too, replace thermostat whenever you get a chance if you never reach optimal temps within 20 minutes.

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Even at -20C (-4F) my Cobalt still reaches operating temperature (89C or 195F) within 12 to 15 minutes.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode