ABS Turning on at 3-5 Mph - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Exclamation ABS Turning on at 3-5 Mph

The car is a 2008 chevy cobalt LT with a 2.2L eco with traction and abs

hey you guys i have a slight problem, i just switched my hubs on both ends and im not sure if they were directional because both of them were exactly the same without L or R on each so i just put one on each side and after that i drove my car, no lights nothing on the dash, but i noticed when i braked and i was coming to a stop and the speed would drop down to 3ish mph the abs would turn on for the left front tire, and i thought hmm i must have gotten some type of oil on the rotor, because i was using pb blaster when i removed the old hub, and i gave it a day or so, and it was still there...every time coming to a stop the abs would turn on for the left tire, but no light poping up on the dash, so i took it in today and i got it checked out and my fav. mechanic took out the abs fuse and just like that the problem disappeared... and im driving without my abs fuse in and yes the lights on and everything, i have two questions now

1. i am planing on swaping the hubs from the left to the right and vise vera becuase my mech noitced the wires didnt look right, but no ABS lights were on or anything ....so i was wondering are the hubs directional for this car? (the hubs came in a pair...so i couldnt tell if they were right or left or universal for both sides...i assumed universal)

2. is there anyway i can figure out if the ABS on the left front is working correctly, because i never had a problem with the old hubs and abs before the swap! thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
One hub is listed as left, right, front.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Forum Regular

you should check resistance from ebcm for left front and slightly turn wheel back and forth and your resistance should not change but if it does maybe have wiring issue (corrosion) simple fix, splice in new wire harness you can get pigtail from gm dealer

09 SS/TC 4DR G85

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Coby im sorry i dont understand what you mean by that post...and dawkness i might have to do that but the thing is i never had a problem with the old hubs or the wiring but ima try switching the left one to the right and the right to the left and hope it helps because i doubt its the wires but if the problem switches to the right side ill know its the hub for sure! I just cant seem to find out if theyre universal for either maybe thats what cobys trying to tell me lolll ill keep you guys posted
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Well on ebay they have one listed and it says right or left so I assume they are the same. Have you tried just spray cleaning the connectors and using dialectric grease to keep the water out.

By the way I would re-install the fuse because that way at least you'll have ABS most of the time.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

coby, yeah i do believe they are universal fit as in either side... so im assuming its just a faulty connection or a bad wheel hub abs during assembly or w/e but the reason i didnt but the fuse back in becasue i didnt want the abs comp or something like that to fry or something due to turning on everytime i stop but i am going to cut her open on friday and the first thing ill mess with is most likely the wiring just the connection to see if its just not sitting right but is the speed sensor built in the hub you guys? im not sure but i think it is...ill have to take a look at that as well, and then ill go from there thanks for all the useful info and thanks for reasearchin for me coby
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sensor is in the hub.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Forum Regular

another thing you can do is measure a/c voltage at front wheels and compare to right side since right side is good should be no less the 100 mV i would do this before swapping cause is sounds like signal drops off below a certain speed, example braking to a stop ebcm sees 10kph on both front wheels then RF is at 7kph but LF drops down to 0kph cause of bad signal ebcm thinks loosing traction abs kicks on

09 SS/TC 4DR G85
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Dawkness you were spot on... i dont even think i am going to switch the hubs because i called the company that i got the hubs from and theyre sending me a replacement hub ... theyre located in michigan and im in cali so its going to take a few days once it comes in ill check the mV while im at it but can you give me steps on how to do that? Im thinking prong the female part with a meter and just turn the hub slowly by hand? Or is there more loll thanks for all the useful info guys...i guess ill be spending another hour under the car loll if its not one thing its always another loll but shes (cobalt) been good to me just needs a little pampering haha
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Forum Regular

yeah the best thing is to have a male connector that you can plug in and use the wires from the male connector to put aligator clips for volt meter turning the wheel by hand should be good enough thats it then repeat on other side

09 SS/TC 4DR G85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode