Steering is Stiff Unless Its Raining - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

Steering is Stiff Unless Its Raining

I bought a 2005 cobalt ls from my dad a week ago and have noticed that the steering wheel doesnt like to come back to center, I physically have to bring it back. When it rains however like it was tonight, the steering is much better. Its no longer as stiff but still will not come back to center.

My dad says that GM performed a recall on the steering system although hes no sure exactly what they replaced.

Any idea's would be amazing, Thanks

Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If it is from both directions pretty sure the universal joint of your intermidiate steering shaft is seized up. If it only turns hard coming back from a right hand turn then it might be your steering rack.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

hmm, tomorrow ill have to check if it does it on left hand turns. I know it does it on right hand turns.

If its the intermediate shaft is there any way to check it or would I have to pull it out to see(like checking a u-joint in a driveshaft)? Or is it covered under a recall?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Recall was for power assist motor. If you put it on a hoist and move wheels side to side by grabbing a hold of the front tires you wil quickly realize which one it is, joint or rack. My guess is your U joint is seized. Did you have a knock in the steering before, that misteriously disapeared? Usually they get loose from wear and noisy first then salt grime from the road gets in the cracks and they rust and tighten-up then seize.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

im not sure, its been doing it since I got it any my step-mom used to drive it. Lets just say she would keep driving if the wheel fell off so asking her if there was a clunk would be like talking to the wall. If I remember correctly when I was doing the sway bar links and bushings the wheels were kind of hard to turn but I didnt think anything of it.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you look at the U joint and you can clearly see rust colour at the cups it's probably your joint. But if you want to make sure before you order any parts just disconnect the intermediate shaft at the steering rack spindle and if the wheels turn freely you know it's not the rack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steering rack-1f.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shaft.jpg
Views:	4183
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	322  

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Expert

Make sure to mark the U joint in place before removing it so you can put it back the same way, to make sure your wheel still points straight when wheels are straight.

Even if its your rack, ebay has your back, about $120 you get a new rack, comes with inner tie rods attached.

Old Car: Chevy Cobalt 2006 LS Sedan base (Automatic)

New Car: Chevy Impala 2011 LT Fully Loaded (Automatic)
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

im leaning towards the shaft because I cant see how the rack would get better in the rain. I have a hoist in my garage so this should be pretty easy to see/diagnose. I just needed to know roughly what to look at. Thanks, i'll let you guys know what I found tonight
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 05:23 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
The rain reduces the coefficient of friction between the tire and the road, making it seem easier to turn.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 05:44 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by money_man View Post
I bought a 2005 cobalt ls from my dad a week ago and have noticed that the steering wheel doesnt like to come back to center, I physically have to bring it back. When it rains however like it was tonight, the steering is much better. Its no longer as stiff but still will not come back to center.

My dad says that GM performed a recall on the steering system although hes no sure exactly what they replaced.

Any idea's would be amazing, Thanks

Brandon
Brandon,

If I can check into any open recalls on your vehicle, you can send me the last 8 digits of your VIN in a PM and I'll get that information your way.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode