Car Turns Over but Wont Start - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Car Turns Over but Wont Start

So I decided to do the fuel filter swap on my day off. Well I couldn't even get the damn thing off after using the fuel disconnect tool for about an hour. The little buttons that needed to be pushed in, would not get disconnected even with a set of pliers squeezing them. I already depressurized my fuel pump by pulling the fuse and tried to re pressurize it by leaving the key on the "On" position. This was done about the same time my roommate helped make a better connection on my headlight harness(working on the plugin that plugs under the radiator). My car tries to turnover but can not start, I checked the fuel filter that I tried to pull off and it seems to still have that stubborn tight connection, as it shows no fuel leaking. I really need a break from this bad luck, any thoughts or opinions. I would really appropriate it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Contributor

Did you install it in the right direction??
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Contributor

Doesn't sound like your getting any fuel to the engine. Did you replace the fuel filter? If you didn't, you maye have mucked it up enough where you are not getting enough fuel through it. That's the first thing I would look at. After that is replaced and your still not getting gas i would suspect the fuel pump. But first the filter - cheaper fix.

Shorty Antenna, Painted Calipers, SAI K&N Intake, B&G Lowering Springs, FE5 Shocks and Struts, Moog End Links, Moog Tie Rod Ends, Polk Audio DXi650 Speakers - front and back.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Did you forget to put the fuel pump fuse back in? lol

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
^seriously check out the location of where you put the fuse I put it one plug off and spent an hour trying to figure out why I wasn't getting fuel!!!

Also, you cant put the filter in incorrectly the hoses connectors are different sizes.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Well I got my car back from the dealership, what turned out to be a hours top work, turned to me calling a tow truck and getting it up to a local dealership. I had to get service done anyways since I received a recall invoice in the mail. I also had a sh*t ton of homework so I couldn't just spend more time checking everything out. It turned out to be that the bottom of my fuse box is corroded out and wasn't receiving a good connection: even when I put the pump Relay back in.

Soo right now I went to a local salvage yard that my roommate hates a lot, and they quoted me $150 for headlight harness, block heater w/plug and the fuse box. That's why I am wondering if an 05 4 door base model has the same diagram as an 06 coupe fuse box. It seems almost all the same parts and fuses, since I'm pretty sure chevy started changing the cobalt from 07-09

Last edited by NDcobalt; 03-21-2012 at 08:25 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 06:02 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

I'm glad to hear that you were able to find the root of the problem, NDcobalt. Good luck with studies (must be nearing the end of the semester?) and with the repair!

Sarah
GM Customer Service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode