Cobalt Wouldn't Shut Off - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Cobalt Wouldn't Shut Off

I haven't been here in a long time. Lot's of things going on in my life and am now living in a new city with a new job. I hope to get back on this forum regularly again now that things have settled down a little.

I've been reading the old posts about peoples keys getting stuck and the service bulletins about replacing the cylinder. I drove my 2009 Cobalt sedan to work this morning and I couldn't turn it off. I drove up to a local car repair place.

They just called and said $171 to replace the cylinder. They said its a known problem. There is a cover that is staked on to cover some pins and the cover has a bad stake. It eventually pops off and the pins pop out and the cylinder won't turn. He said they have a new cylinder that is coming to replace it that fixes the problem.

I'm going to to take the bill and the old cylinder up to the dealership and see if I can get them to reimburse me.

Shorty Antenna, Painted Calipers, SAI K&N Intake, B&G Lowering Springs, FE5 Shocks and Struts, Moog End Links, Moog Tie Rod Ends, Polk Audio DXi650 Speakers - front and back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 06:38 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Did you already have the work performed, dondiego? I can look to see if there are any open recalls or programs on your vehicle concerning this. Please send me the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Sarah
GM Customer Service
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Thanks. When I get the car back later today I will send it to you.

Shorty Antenna, Painted Calipers, SAI K&N Intake, B&G Lowering Springs, FE5 Shocks and Struts, Moog End Links, Moog Tie Rod Ends, Polk Audio DXi650 Speakers - front and back.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

97187308 are the last 8 digits of my VIN.

The guy that replaced it said that the cylinder that was in my Cobalt was a GM cylinder but wasn't made for the Cobalt, it was made for some other car but they used it on my Cobalt. Weird becasue I bought it new from a dealership.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

I know it's probably out of warranty, even though it's been less that 3 years, I have over 36,000 miles on it.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Chevy Customer Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
97187308 are the last 8 digits of my VIN.

The guy that replaced it said that the cylinder that was in my Cobalt was a GM cylinder but wasn't made for the Cobalt, it was made for some other car but they used it on my Cobalt. Weird becasue I bought it new from a dealership.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

I know it's probably out of warranty, even though it's been less that 3 years, I have over 36,000 miles on it.
The following are the remaining warranty parameters on your vehicle:

Corrosion Limited Warranty until 06/22/2015 or 100,000 MI, whichever comes first

Powertrain Limited Warranty until MI 06/22/2014 or 100,000 MI, whichever comes first

Emission Select Component Limited Warranty until 06/22/2017 or 80,000 MI, whichever comes first

In your earlier post you mentioned that you would be making a trip over to your dealership to see about reimbursement - let me know how this goes. They should have the proper paperwork.

Sarah
GM Customer Service
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Just got back from the Chevy dealership in Kalamazoo. They said there was nothing they could do for me but hang on to the receipt in case there is a recall. They said if I wouldn't have gotten it fixed and had it towed back to the dealership where I bought it they might have mbeen able to do something.

Right that dealership is 150 miles away and how would I get to work in the meantime? Silly dealership.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 05:58 AM
Chevy Customer Service

Did you ever have work done on your vehicle for this issue at a GM dealership while you were under the bumper to bumper warranty? I don't see any records for it with your VIN, but wanted to double check.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Nope. Never had a problem until yesterday. The only work I had done was the automatic transmission PRD1 indicator came loose due to a short spring or something and the electric steering recall.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Chevy Customer Service

I'm afraid that I don't have any way to explore reimbursement for you either, then. I'm sorry! :-(

Since having the work done, has everything been going well with your vehicle?

Sarah
GM Customer service
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

The ignition cylinder works good as expected.
The turn signals have not been turning off after turning and that has been gradually getting worse. I read about replacing the turn signal arm switch on this forum and ordered a new on from Amazon and will see if that fixes it.
I just replaced the button on my shoulder harness that busted of about a year ago when I shut the door on when it didn't fully retract and busted the button. So now the buckle doesn't slide all the way to the floor anymore...Yay!
It's the little things that I am trying to fix now. Other than that it runs great! Just routine maintenance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode