Brakes - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Brakes

So i took my car to get the oil changed and ended up finding out apparently that i need new brake pads, and need to tighten the back brakes. Also they told me that i need new rear shocks and struts. I am fairly mechanical and know that i could probably at least do the brakes by myself. Anyone know how hard the shocks and struts would be and what kinda tools will i need? Also how hard is it to tighten the back brakes figured that would be fairly simple.

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Also any suggestions on brands for brake pads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Forum Regular

all of those you can do yourself. brakes might take a while. took me around 4-6 hrs the very first time I did it. Thats in total. and i had a few mistakes i made and had to re-open everything.

to "tighten" the back brake? If that means calibrate. you go in reverse, 15or so mph. (thanks coby) and brake fairly hard. when I did it I made the mistake of completely tightening the star screw thing and it was a bit harder but i hit the brakes progressivly harder and harder and it fixed itself. just make sure you follow the torque specs

rear shocks should be fairly easy also. take a look at the how to on this site, i think i remember seeing one. I know theres one for struts for sure.

as for brand of brakes, ill leave someone else to answer that who has more experience

P.S. this is the first car Ive ever owned thats been mine. and the first one Ive ever changed brakes on (my sisters) and drums were a bit of a challenge, first time, but when I do mine it wont take long at all. front were super easy, but I didnt have to change them. just took everything apart. Also, make sure you open the master cylinder so you can push your brakes easier....and go SLOW
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Hi! What's the mileage on the car? What's the mileage on the brakes? Don't know where you went for this check-up. Some places will find all kinds of problems thinking that you are going to get it fixed there to make a quick buck. Don't be fooled check for yourself or get a second opinion. Notice what goes wrong with your car are always the easy jobs!!!! Easy job, easy buck.

Here in Canada the best brakes I have found are the "Adaptive One"(UAP NAPA) Might be sold under a different name in US. They are very low dust ( Especially nice when you have nice wheels) and they come with the stainless steel replacement guides. I don't own shares in the company I just like the product. Did 110000 Kms on the last set in my SUV. Put them in the wife's G6 last week front and back. Will be putting them on the Cobalt as soon as factory ones wear out with new rotors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1692.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	382  

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 03-26-2012 at 04:35 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Wouldnt surprize me at all with either repair with my car having 82,000 miles on it with original brake pads and shocks and struts
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Newcomer

the rear struts are super easy all you have to do is unattach the brake lines from the drums and jack up the car untill its relativly high and unbold the shock, the springs fall right out you might as well lower it while your down there
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

any of you guys wanna explain to me on how to use a torque wrench? haha never used one. and i thought about lowering it how would i go about that with coilovers?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Newcomer

For the torque wrench - most will have a dial on the bottom where you set the torque. If you get the clicking kind, just tighten the bolt until you feel/hear the click. If you are using one with a meter, you will tighten the bolt until the little needle hits the desired torque. Once you have one in your hand, it will be easy to figure out.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Prospect

Yeah, you can do your own brakes and rear shocks. I ran into trouble with both, and would suggest the following:
-use a torch to get the drum off.
-Make sure the shock isn't pushing down on the rear bolt as you try to insert/tighten the rear bolt. That can make the bolt go in crooked and then strip it and/or the bolt (welded into the frame). My dealer told me they needed to replace the frame when I did that, but I chose to use a helicoil to fix. See link if interested.
https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/pro...t-trouble.html

Good luck.
Greg
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Just ordered my new brake pads and ordering torque wrench today, I am excited to see how this goes and will let you guys know thanks for all the help!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If your new brake pads don't come with new stainless steel pad guides, I suggest you purchase a set. It makes the brake job a lot easier and less likely to fail down the road.

Example picture.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 04-02-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode