Whiring/Rattling Noise - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Whiring/Rattling Noise

I have an 06 2.2L LT and when I am driving I hear a whiring/rattling noise when ever I am over 2500rpms. It doesnt change when I turn or corner so I think its not likely that its a wheel bearing but it does sound like a bearing so I was thinking maybe a pulley bearing. I have yet to get in there and look at them but it does not make the sound if you rev above 2500rmps while in park. I have done little to no work on this cobalt and its just barely getting to 70k miles. All I have really done is oil, spark plugs and air intake. Any ideas on what this might be would very much appriciated. I am in no way a mechanical genius but I have minor mechanical experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Good morning Mountaindru,

I see that you're newer to the forum, and wanted to introduce myself briefly. I'm Sarah and I work with GM Customer Service. While I can't advise on technical issues or provide DIY advice in most cases (if I happen to find something in an owner's manual I can chip in from there), I can look into recall or warranty information on vehicles, as well as assist in working with a dealership.

The forum community here is very helpful, and I bet you'll hear some more troubleshooting from them. If I can be of assistance, don't hesitate to get in touch on the forum!

Regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thank you very much Sarah, I have been reading other posts on the forums as well and I can tell that this is definatly an awesome resource. I was actually planning on taking it into my local dealer if I cant come up with something on my own or from someones idea on here anyway. I just figured I would ask here first.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Have you tried turning the A/C on and off at that time to eliminate the compressor clutch?

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindru View Post
Thank you very much Sarah, I have been reading other posts on the forums as well and I can tell that this is definatly an awesome resource. I was actually planning on taking it into my local dealer if I cant come up with something on my own or from someones idea on here anyway. I just figured I would ask here first.
I definitely understand wanting to see what can be done on your own first. Coby7 is very knowledgeable, and I see he just jumped on the thread!

All the best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Actually thats what I thought it was at first because at the first and second speed on my ac (just the cabin air setting) it makes a whiring noise like the the blower fan is catching on something. So I tired engaging it at different speeds and it didnt change except for the previously mentioned ac fan noise. I have however this morning taken off the engine cover and found an ehaust leak in the small spring looking tubing thats about 6 inches long before the cat and right after the exhaust manifold. Its silver and it seems to allow for a little movement in the exhaust system. Its cracked and leaking an ample amount even just at an idle. I dont know if thats what I am hearing or not but that is definatly noticeable when the cover is off and you put your hand near the hole. I am not very experienced with exhaust leaks so I don't know they would sound like on a 4 cylnder though. Thank you for the idea about the ac, its actually next on my list of things to figure out with its own little whiring of its own.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
That piece is called the flex pipe. If you can hear it at idle you can definitely hear it at 2500RPM and so can people watching you go by. Any muffler shop can weld a new one in usually or you can have the whole pipe replaced.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thank you again for your help, I am gonna take it off and take it in to the muffler shop in town and if its too much I will order a new flexpipe. So far all I am seeing are ones I can buy with the entire piping attached to the cat but thats ok, least I know whats my issue now. Just looks like I am riding the bike for a few days. Woot for good weather!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Newcomer

Mountaindru - did you find out what was going on with the ac fan issue? Mine is doing the same thing. Very annoying... Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode