Chatter when Using Brakes - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Chatter when Using Brakes

i couldnt find where this might of been asked before but whenever i use my brakes, it just kind of seems at random times, my car has a chatter in the front brakes. it almost feels like my roters are warped or something but if that was the case it should do it all the time.

when i usually notice it is when i am going down big hills and might of been on the brakes a good bit or whenever i stop and use constant pressure on the brakes, but if i use them any other time it seems like it dont really do it.

anyone have any ideas? i dont really think its a urgent issue, i just know it isnt normal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 08:24 PM
Initiate

I am guessing you notice it more when you apply light pressure to the brakes? Thats just your rotors being warped. Probably from the front wheels not being torqued correctly.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

bean2080,

I checked out Oil Filter Guide - Oil Life Monitoring - Dirty Oil Filter | ACDelco, and saw that some different brake noises can be caused by dirt in the brake pads, hardening of or work brake pads and shoes. I have limited resources available to me when it comes to troubleshooting, and I'm sorry if this doesn't fully capture the noise you were talking about.

If you decide to get this looked into, please be sure to update!
Sarah
GM Customer Service

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Are you describing a noise when you say chatter or a feeling? Do you hear a chatter or do you feel a chatter? If you feel a chatter or commonly called pulsations then you have the beginning of warped rotors. Warped rotors get worst if they get hot.
If you hear a chatter at low speed, this is caused by cheap brake pads that get sticky when hot and create that creaking chattering noise.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 04-02-2012 at 02:43 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

i would say its a little of both, i can feel and hear it both. i been trying to figure out when it exactly does it but i cant really pin point it. i notice it almost every time comming down a farily steep road with alot of turns, i have to ride my brake a good amount. thats about the only time i notice it all the time, all the other times just seem random. these brake pads were on my car when i bought it so they very well could be cheap, i usually change my own brakes but maybe i will take it to a mechanic next time to see if he can turn down my roters.

thanks for the help, if i find anything out i will post back.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Just bring the rotors to your local parts store. They usually can turn the rotor for cheap. Otherwise I would just buck up and spend the $75 to get new
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
IMO, I found that turning rotors is wasting money. Up here they charge 20$ per rotor to turn and then you have a rotor that is less than spec that warp at it's original thickness to begin with. New ones cost 35-40$ and if hub is cleaned properly and lug nuts are torqued to specs will last you for 60,000 miles or more with new pads. I just did the wifes G6 front brakes for less than 200$.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Staff Alumni

i have some noise in mine as well and it cant be a warped rotor for me because it was doing it and then i changed rotors and pads and its still doing it..it isnt hurting my braking but i am curious as to what it is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode