"service Airbag" Light - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

"service Airbag" Light

hey everyone so my service airbag light came out last night while i was driving, and then when i went to pick up my buddy, i started the car and "service airbag" came on but didn't come on after i dropped him off, could it be a loose wire? because the car is accident free , anyone have this looked at and fixed at a dealer? if so can someone give me an estimate on the priceee?

Everyone has different style, therefore everyone has different taste, don't like my car, don't look simple as that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Might be the passenger seat switch...

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Might be the passenger seat switch...
today i was driving and then i was buy myself and it gave me the signal again...do u know how expensive this fix could be?

Everyone has different style, therefore everyone has different taste, don't like my car, don't look simple as that

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Veteran

Garage
Check under the seat the plug might be loose.

[Insert signature here]
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Expert

This happens to me when I remove the passenger seat, it has a sensor that detects when someone (of a certain weight) is sitting on it, so it can activate/de-activate the passenger airbag.

As said above, check the harness and the wire, if there is not any noticeable damage, your problem could be the switch itself (inside the seat) or the problem could be else where.

Old Car: Chevy Cobalt 2006 LS Sedan base (Automatic)

New Car: Chevy Impala 2011 LT Fully Loaded (Automatic)
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

thats a good point cuz i recently cleaned the inside of my car, so by moving the seats back and forth i probably made the switch loose, ill check it tomorrow hopefully i don't have to bring it in

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Expert

The length of the wire compensates for seat adjustments, but in some cases, it could have got caught on something and damaged some wires or the harness, if you find wires are damaged, just re join them, if your lucky, which I suspect your not since you don't always get the message, you may have simply pulled out the harness, its under the passenger seat, just push it all the way forward then get in the back and check it out underneath.

Old Car: Chevy Cobalt 2006 LS Sedan base (Automatic)

New Car: Chevy Impala 2011 LT Fully Loaded (Automatic)
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Forum Regular

this happened to me....a wire came unplugged but still touching inside my steering wheel. I plugged it back in and never had a problem since...read instructions before pulling off airbag on the steering wheel.it's time consuming and would cost a fortune at a dealer.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

CobaCobaltLT,

What did you see when you checked into things today? Looking forward to an update! I would certainly recommend getting this checked out as it is safety related. If I can be of any assistance, I'm happy to look into anything you like. Get me the last 8 of your VIN and I can check for recalls, for instance.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCustSvc View Post
CobaCobaltLT,

What did you see when you checked into things today? Looking forward to an update! I would certainly recommend getting this checked out as it is safety related. If I can be of any assistance, I'm happy to look into anything you like. Get me the last 8 of your VIN and I can check for recalls, for instance.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
I checked the wires and everything seems to be fine so i made an appointment and now it comes on more frequently , sometimes every 5 minutes
I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow, but i can certainly give you the last 8 digits of my vin (77328351)
thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode