Bad Time for the Cobalt. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Bad Time for the Cobalt.

Hey everyone, As I had in my Introduction Thread, I posted about a bad Run in with my Cobalt.

A Few months ago, We had a storm that caused the wind to tear off a branch of a tree on the mainstreet as I was driving. The branch came down right infront of my car, and without time to react, it went under the car and hooked my ABS wires. it caused the sensor to pull out and break part of its clip. Knowing I had to replace this, I was having exhaust issues with it aswell, My cat was plugged to the point where on my way to work one day, I was having bad reactions with my car, and all I heard was a bang. Taking it in later that day on my break for work, I figured out that it caused my Flex pipe to go, and needed to replace that whole chunk of the exhaust system. Replaced it that day, and booked an appointment for the ABS sensor before winter hit. Early snow fall, On my way to the shop, a patch of ice off the highway upramp, ABS wire slipped out when I pushed on my brakes, the tires locked up on the ice. put me right into the back of a truck.

Damage soo far by the looks of it, Had the car sit for awhile, While I dealed with school and getting through that, Having to take the bus for months.

Hook Dented up, Cracking the bumper leaving some holes. (I was able to flatten the hood out enough, Doesn't lock.) Headlights smashed. The Rad mount part of the frame that crosses the engine bay with the hood hook was bent right in, moving quite a bit of stuff. Engine seems to be slanted slightly.

I Have not looked over the car yet, I plan to in the morning tomorrow While I look over my buddies 1994 Nissan Pathfinder to replace his starter since it crapped out on us the other day in my Drive way.

Issues with the car: After the Accident, I started it up to take it home, Idled fine, until Stalling out a few seconds later. A few block drive home, the car stalled out 28-32 times, If the car rev'ed less then about.. 3-4 grand, it would sputter and stall out. Trying to figure out what this is, Would anyone really know?
Want to try get it startable, and drivable a bit, So I can possibly get it out and into a more proper shop or garage to get more work done to it.
Any idea's will be looked over, and will be updated as soon as I look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
MAF or cracked inlet sucking air.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

How would I be able to check that myself? Because I'm hoping that I can possibly look things over myself in my Driveway, and if its possible, fix some of the things myself to be able to get it from my house, to my Uncles Garage and work on things more there, Since he's got a better selection of tools and I would actually be able to take parts off of it and leave the car without having to worry about people walking by and taking stuff.

and MAF Means? :P I'm new to lots of this stuff.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
MAF Mass Air Flow sensor. Situated on your inlet duct just after airbox for air filter. Connector might have been knocked loose. The other possibility is your air duct itself might have been pulled from the throttle body (depicted in red).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mass-Air-Flow-Sensor-for-Chevroletf.jpg
Views:	914
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resonator-1f.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	412  

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Staff Alumni

Is there a hissing sound? Possibly a vacuum line got pulled.

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode