Transmission Issues? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Transmission Issues?

So I have just gotten my Cobalt back from a dealership where they said that they have replaced the entire TCM and harness that goes with it. This was because the transmission was really banging into gear as it shifts moreso in the the lower gears than the higher gears. I had gotten a cel that threw up a generic fault transmission fault code. So anyways as i was saying i got it back from the dealer earlier today and it was fixed when we left but after some driving it started to act up again, same problems. So, I was wondering are the Cobalts transmissions finicky creatures or is this a more deep-seated problem. It's still under warranty so I have going for me.
My car is a 2010 LT sedan. It had somewhere in the range 46,500 miles on it. So, i kinda thinking that it was a rental car. Also, if and when I take it back it will be the third time, so i don't know if that will count against me in any way.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If they didn't fix it bring it back, if you have a problem Sarah from customer service is on here daily and she will help you out with any dealer issue. Her nickname is ChevyCustSvc. If you have any warranty or dealership problems just PM her. Plus you should be allocated a rental while your car is in the shop.

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/mem...vycustsvc.html

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Alright coolness I thank you for that. I did get a rental car for like the 2 weeks they had my car. Those Malibus are really nice cars.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Does this look familiar.....

" bcm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
For the last 6+ months I had been having troubles with engine warning lights, trans shifting, power steering and A/C cutting out. Replaced power steering motor under recall. Had TCM replaced per the dealer and the diagnostic codes. Didn't fix the problem and dealer was just guessing from that point. Had the ECM "flashed"/codes cleared by a garage guy who has the software. Fixed it for a week. He said if that failed, it was likely the BCM. Didn't want to pay new for BCM, but couldn't find a junked one locally. Apparently Cobalts are too new to be in most junk yards in the Chicago area! Those that admitted having the parts, refused to sell them (too many complaints about mis-matched electrical parts). So out of need to match the serial numbers on my part with what is available on Ebay/other sources, I pulled off the BCM cover - passenger side center column, black cover snaps off. While in there, I pulled the two "computer plug" connections, wiped off and reattached. Pulled the fuses across the top (which just so happened to be in this order: power steering, transmission, A/C and A/C). Wiped the contacts which seemed to have a grease feel to them. Blew out the whole thing with the air hose. Lots of dust - the car's ventilation system blows right past the back side of the BCM. It was clear someone had been in the BCM before I purchased the car used as all the spare fuses had been removed. Reattached everything and (cross your fingers), no problems for almost two months. Knock on wood, I hope this did the trick. I wanted others to know, because this was a frequent post.

I was having the same issues. I live in Phoenix but it started with the 'cooler' weather. My boyfriend is a self employed mechanic and did the'wiggle' test on on tcm, bcm anddisconnected and reconnected the connectors. So far, no issues. It has been about 2 weeks now. We'll see. I think for Chevy to take this serious, it needs to be brought to the media's attention. Time to call your local tv stations trouble shooter."

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Only having the TCM is familiar. I haven't had anything else go wrong with the car except the TCM and the cel coming on. that was the generic transmission fault code and a solenoid fault code, and I have and no other problems but the transmission shifting really hard almost jerkingly hard.

But from what I'm getting from that post is my BCM might be bad? Is that correct, or what you were implying.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Many people have had BCM problems cause by humidity and dirt causing corrosion in the connectors of the BCM. I've had a few where you just unplug the connectors and replug and your good to go until same conditions get back at it. Dialectric grease helps sometimes.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I'm going to have to try that before I take it down to the dealership.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

RandomMan,

How did adjusting the BCM connectors go? If I can be of any assistance in working with your dealership please let me know!

Sarah
GM Customer Service
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I actually did not do that. I just took it down there. I am mechanically inclined but only just. I didn't want to ruin anything more than needed. But, as I said before I took it down about 2 days ago and I did inform them about the BCM. He said that they will now need to have engineers look into it to get it fixed, because they have already did what they were supposed to with this type of problem. So for now I have I Cruze to drive around in till my car gets fixed. Thanks for the help and advice I'm just going to let them take care of it for now while still under warranty. I shall keep you guys updated on anything that comes up.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 12:02 AM
Contributor

Garage
How is that cruze riding?

Future mods:
chevy 572 c.i. motor insatall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode