Bad News, then Worse News... - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Bad News, then Worse News...

Hi all...

I'm having such a hard time with my cobalt right now, very frustrating, almost want to trade it in for a replacement balt, one problem after another, all bombarding me at once.

1st off, I mentioned a possible coolant leak after changing it out, well it was not my AC condenser defrosting, it was my coolant leaking from the water pump, at least I think its the water pump, its actually adjacent to the AC condenser drip pipe.

2nd, my trans is so rough in the 1st gear I cannot even drive it at times, I actually have to start in Low, get to about 25 MPH then quickly shift into Drive, If not I get a very bumpy ride and sometimes, it seems to get stuck and I cannot get past 20 MPH, unless I release the gas for a few seconds then try again.

3rd, My darn CEL is on, still after several repairs seemed to repair the issues, I need a new cat con and possibly new o2 sensor (again) and the EVAP system is not working right.

I have put these in the order I believe they should be repaired in.

Possible replacement parts:

Water Pump and gaskets - (Ebay - $52.87, with all gaskets)
New/Replacement Transmission (Used, I can get it for about $300, $200 to put it in)

New Cat (Ebay - ($120 - Gaskets from Autozone are $5.99 each)
New o2 Sensor - ($25 - Ebay)
New EVAP Solenoid - ($25 - Ebay)

Indicates Essential Repairs

And Knowing my luck, if I were to get all that done, something else will pop up and kick me in the @$$ .

Can anybody help me confirm the water pump is the issue, or at least a gasket, it seems to be circulating the water around the cooling system, I think it may just be the gasket. The leak is on the bottom passenger side of the engine block, and a large metal pipe runs to is from the driver side.

Thanks all.

Old Car: Chevy Cobalt 2006 LS Sedan base (Automatic)

New Car: Chevy Impala 2011 LT Fully Loaded (Automatic)

Last edited by johnccc; 04-18-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Forum Regular

Holy shit. Had the same issue with my old Cutlass, and the trans did in fact need to be replaced. With that list, honestly, I would get another car. You're potentially looking at over 5 grand before labor there.

2005 Cobalt LS Sedan. Hers. 2003 Taurus SEL Sedan. Mine.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Added estimated Prices.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Forum Regular

Keep in mind, you don't know what you're getting with a used trans. I just put a trans in my Taurus in December. I went with a new/rebuilt unit from the dealer, and had them put it in. Came in just under 3 grand out the door, but I have a HUGE warranty too. Check new/rebuilt prices before jumping on a used trans because it's cheap. You might find a good deal somewhere. The price I paid just for the trans was a freakin steal. Always remember, dude, ya get what ya pay for (this refers to the cheap fleaBay parts, too). Not being a dick, but this DOES come from experience. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her Balt View Post
Keep in mind, you don't know what you're getting with a used trans. I just put a trans in my Taurus in December. I went with a new/rebuilt unit from the dealer, and had them put it in. Came in just under 3 grand out the door, but I have a HUGE warranty too. Check new/rebuilt prices before jumping on a used trans because it's cheap. You might find a good deal somewhere. The price I paid just for the trans was a freakin steal. Always remember, dude, ya get what ya pay for (this refers to the cheap fleaBay parts, too). Not being a dick, but this DOES come from experience. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do

This trans is replacement "used" one, and yes, now I'm in deep $h1t.

I just checked the fluid levels, the check but was dripping and dripping on a level surface with the engine running, it dripped half a quart, this is where I stopped, I tested the car and for about a mile it was nice an smooth, but now its doing it again. Avoiding the 1st gear seems to work for now.

About the ebay parts, I'd rather get those than nasty Bosche ones lol

I just basically refurbished a Ford Focus, it needed lots of parts, all from ebay, its running sweet. Also got a rack and pinion for my balt, very smooth. (Not worrying about quality of parts, most are exactly the same quality, I buy new, not rebuilt.)

Besides that, I was just thinking to get this trans rebuilt, at least I will know its not broken from inside, I know a good mechanic for the job, just waiting until tomorrow for a price on a rebuild, he charges $175 just to drop it out and put it back in, so it will be that, plus parts and rebuild labor.

Thanks for the luck, hope luck is real, and in my case "good" luck.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Forum Regular

Well, a rebuild will definately save you money, and get back some peace-of-mind. I hope it works out for ya, man, I really do. I know where you are coming from, been there with my old Cutlass. It was hard to do, but at the end, it was just too much money and work.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Expert

So here is an image of what I'm assuming is the water pump
The leak is coming from the inside of this part, literally have to get under the car, all the way to the back of the motor and look up to see the leak.

I have confirmed it is coolant as I got a white disposable cup and saw it was orange liquid, also, my coolant level was really low, for now, its topped off.

Am I correct in assuming this is the water pump?

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

ACDelco Transmission Rebuild kit - $214.44
ACDELCO OE SERVICE 17803810 Transmission Rebuild Kit | eBay

The labor for a swap is $175, so that plus the rebuild labor.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:36 AM
Forum Regular

I would say so. But I don't know much about these motors in particular, so hopefully somebody else watching can confirm this.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
johnccc I emailed you the How to replace water pump.pdf... Should help!!!

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
johnccc I emailed you the How to replace water pump.pdf... Should help!!!

Thanks for that, but I already have it in the shop for a replacement transmission and the water pump, $300 for the labor, $55 for the pump, then $350 for a used transmission (2007 model with only 21k)

Will be ready tomorrow evening.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread