Clicking Noise when I Turn Key Off - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Clicking Noise when I Turn Key Off

I have a 2006 Cobalt that I bought with 25000 miles on it. It now has 50000 thousand on it. It has always had a weird clicking noise when I turn the key off. The noise is either coming from the steering column or under dash. When it does this the switch will sometimes get stuck half way back---I wait for the clicking to quit and it will go all the way back and release the key. I have had one instance where the key would not turn the cylinder. I just had the car in for the power steering recall and they did not mention any other outstanding recalls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Contributor

Garage
I get a clicking also When I turn off my cobalt, but it's the exhaust cooling down and the metal shrinking, just in case you didn't know, metal expand's when It get hot

Future mods:
chevy 572 c.i. motor insatall
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
A good preventative maintenance on the ignition cylinder is a small amount of light oil, either sprayed in the cylinder or the way I prefer is a drop of oil on the key before insertion. Also clean the krud out of your keys once in a while.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYKAYE View Post
I have a 2006 Cobalt that I bought with 25000 miles on it. It now has 50000 thousand on it. It has always had a weird clicking noise when I turn the key off. The noise is either coming from the steering column or under dash. When it does this the switch will sometimes get stuck half way back---I wait for the clicking to quit and it will go all the way back and release the key. I have had one instance where the key would not turn the cylinder. I just had the car in for the power steering recall and they did not mention any other outstanding recalls.
If this clicking started only after the power steering recall repair, I would send it back to them and state that info to them so they can check it out.

The Cobalt has a steering wheel lock, even though the dealership may tell you otherwise, the position of the wheel in locked position is either facing right or left, its not in the straight position like most other cars, this would cause the key not to turn, next time this happens, check the wheel see if it can turn, if not move it left and right while turning the key.

I also had this issue when I made a copy, I guess it was cut wrong, It would happen all the time, I would pull the key a little out of the cylinder while turning, it would catch, I recently made another copy and it works fine, it could be the key, maybe.

What kind of click noise, something similar to the signal clicking?

Old Car: Chevy Cobalt 2006 LS Sedan base (Automatic)

New Car: Chevy Impala 2011 LT Fully Loaded (Automatic)

Last edited by johnccc; 04-20-2012 at 08:16 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Staff Alumni

mine does it as well...exhaust cooling
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriggs92 View Post
mine does it as well...exhaust cooling

Most cars get that clicking sound, he said this was coming from the steering column area, the clicking your describing would be audible when outside the car, unless you have super sonic hearing.

However, this clicking sound after the key is pulled is very weird and I cant think of any explanation for it, inside the car anyway.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 05:51 AM
Staff Alumni

I'm just guessing at what you're hearing, but it could be the noise from the shifter microswitch releasing the ignition lock (once the car put in park). That's all I can think of that makes an audible click.

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Thanks for all the input. It is a little louder than a turn signal click. It is usually very rapid clicking like something is trying to release. As long as I am driving, I know to just wait a little while (usually about 20 seconds) and the key will release, but when someone else drives they don't know this and the more you try to turn the key all the way back while it is clicking the longer it will take to release. The first few times it happened I made sure I was all the way in park and wiggled the shifter, nothing helped. I thought I might be having a problem with a neutral safety switch or somethin. I don't know a whole lot about cars but I used to work in a mechanic's office. So be patient with my ignorance of these things.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Staff Alumni

actually now that i think about it i dont know if mine does it anymore since i put the cat back on..as for a click in the steering colum i dont have that..i dont hear one anyway
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Expert

Try to replicate the click by applying the foot brake and pushing on and off the trigger on the gear shifter, is this the click your hearing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode