Clicking Noise When Turning Steering Wheel - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Clicking Noise When Turning Steering Wheel

So I've done some searching but I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most forum-savvy guy. So here's my question and I apologize if this is already a thread.

When turning the steering wheel whether the car be parked, in motion, or suspended in some strange state of being inbetween the two, does any one else notice a rapid clicking sound that varies depending on how fast you turn the wheel? It definitely doesn't sound like it's coming from the tie rod, it sounds like it's strictly confined to the steering column. I've never ridden in another cobalt, so I don't know if it's just mine or not. Also, my car seems to make loads of popping and clicking noises after I turn it off. Some one told me it's because the metal is still new, but it's an '09 cobalt and I've had it almost a year now. Any and all help is greatly appreciated and I apologize once more if these issues are covered in other threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Have you noticed any progression to this clicking noise? Or has it been steady?

If you would like for me to check to see if you're still within your bumper to bumper warranty, please send me the last 8 of your VIN in a private message here on the forum.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

The problem has been steady, I noticed it the first time I ever drove the car, but it didn't sound like an alarming noise at all. It's strange because it's a sort of casual clicking, like it's supposed to do that. As for the car popping and clicking after I turn it off, that doesn't sound normal at all. I know some cars make minor clicking sounds but my car sounds like popcorn when I turn it off. Even if I were still under my bumper to bumper warranty, I'm sure there's some argument that could be presented so as to some how result in me paying a lot of money. From what I've heard from others, bumper to bumper is exactly that. Nothing above or below the bumpers.

Last edited by The_X; 04-26-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Why wouldn't I edit it?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Forum Regular

bumper to bumper is anything wrong get fixed free!!, sounds like intermediate shaft making the noise

09 SS/TC 4DR G85
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

What about the noise when I turn the engine off? The closest thing I can relate the sound to is popcorn with the treble turned up and the bass turned down... if that makes any sense.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
The steering wheel noise, is it in behind the wheel area or more like in the engine compartment? How many ticks per 360 of wheel turn 1 or 4? If it is four it usually is the U joint in the intermediate steering shaft.

Noise after turning engine is normal as exhaust heat shields shrink as they cool down. Some are worst than others. Mine is noisier than most when I get home because I live on a hill and motor get's pretty hot before I turn it off.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

The noise seems to come more from the steering wheel itself rather than the steering column, but by no means am I a mechanic. I worked at Speedy Oil Change a few years ago, but I was mostly a pit dweller (unscrewing the oil plug, replacing filter, etc). In my opinion, the noise sounds a lot like putting baseball cards in the spokes of a bicycle, as many of us may have done as children. Only the sound isn't nearly as intense. But much like the bicycle, the clicking varies depending on how quickly I turn the wheel. It's unnoticeable when the radio is at a reasonable level. Thanks to everyone so far for your replies.

Last edited by The_X; 04-26-2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Minor Revisions
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
OK. Might be the half moon cam that releases the blinker lever that's misadjusted.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Thanks for the clue. It's not even necessarily an annoying noise, I'd just like to know whether or not it's something I should get looked at. Unfortunately, thanks to some one BACKING UP at a STOP SIGN, my car is currently in the shop, but I should be getting it back either today or Monday, at which point I'll put my VIN up here and hopefully have the GM Rep run it and see where I stand on my warranty. Thanks for all the replies folks!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Newcomer

mine clicks but it has to do with the turn signal switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode