Passenger Side Speaker Comes Off and on - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Passenger Side Speaker Comes Off and on

i have noticed that my passenger side door speaker goes in and out alot. im not sure if its a coincidence or not but i have noticed that it hasent been working in the mornings going to work but when i come home my speaker works fine. whenever it does work it dont really sound that bad, although it is just a little bad sounding but not really bad enough to care. i took my door pannel off to see if the connector was bad or something and everything looks fine.

does anyone know what the problem is? maybe it getting ready to blow? i was going to take my head unit out to look back there but i wanted to ask first. i hate to buy new speakers if thats not the problem. it just drives me crazy, it works fine then it dont.

thanks!

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

sorry i found a post asking a similer question but i didnt think it had my answer i wanted, i just found out that when the speaker goes in and out that its about ready to go out for good. could someone confirm this just to double check?

since i guess my speaker is going bad, what is a good aftermarket speaker that fits just like the factory speaker? i dont want to mod or do anything, i just want it to fit just like the stock one that sounds good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Probably just the connector at the speaker. I took mine apart last september crushed the connections a bit, sprayed with contact cleaner and added dialectric grease. Been working good ever since.

But if your speaker does go bad and you want to put aftermarket speakers you can also buy a GM speaker bracket.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

yea when i took mine apart i put dialectric grease on mine too when i had it apart, it didnt seem to help at all. i guess if it blows then i will quit working all together lol

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Here are the adapters I was mentioning.
6.5 Car Speakers Front Door Adapter 6.5 & 6.75 GM634F | eBay

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Expert

Garage
its definitely not the head unit, certainly the speaker.
It might be the connector as suggested. If the grease didnt work, if youre brave enough and an upgrade is a potential in the future, Id suggest stripping the connectors and soldering them on again to ensure the connection is good. With new speakers, you chop off the connector anyways.
It might also be that moisture has gotten into the voice coil and it starting to rust, this however probably wouldnt have it working intermittently.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Newcomer

Could be water on the connector. I had the same issue you described. I ended up taking off the entire plastic trim on the door to gain access to the speaker. Water seeping through the molding damaged the speaker and damaged it. i had to get a replacement and taped off the connector to prevent any new damage.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 06:11 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

bean2080,

I see the original post was from Friday; did you have any luck resolving this on your own over the weekend? If I can be of any assistance (looking into warranty/recall information, assisting in working with a dealership) please let me know!
Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

sorry i didnt get back sooner guys, i kind of got sidetracked lol anyway, after putting grease on the connecter on the speaker and that not helping, i took the little boot off that is between the door and car and checked that connector and that also looked fine. so after a week back and forth to work my speaker no longer works at all. my plans are now, to take the speaker out of the drivers side and put it in the passenger side and see what happens. if the speaker works then that means i have a blown speaker and possibly need some new ones.

im kind of guessing my speaker is bad, just from what is going on, if thats the case then i guess ill have to find some speakers that fit in the doors just like the factory ones, since i dont want to modify anything.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

does anyone know what wattage the door speakers are? i want to start looking around for some speakers just incase i need some.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Car speakers are 4Ω @ 50 Watts. OEM speakers aren't very good to start with (Sorry ChevyCustSvc but true) so it will be a nice upgrade. Try to at least get a dual cone. If you get an adaptor bracket it's a piece of cake.

Last edited by Coby7; 05-25-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode