Car Hiccups Giving It Gas. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Car Hiccups Giving It Gas.

So I recently bought a used 2006 SS a couple months ago, and it's been running fine up until tonight. Something has been going on with what I think is the clutch? I could be wrong, but as I reach higher rpms/press the gas harder, the car starts to stutter. It feels like it is running out of gas or something, the rpms don't jump higher or anything, they rather drop slightly, but it just hiccups, and the more gas I give it, or the higher I put the rpms in any gear, it does it. I don't notice anything when idling or coasting, just when I start to give it a push or accelerate.

The guy that had it before did some work to it, told me he put in an Exedy Stage 2 clutch, which puts me in denial about it being a clutch issue. He also gutted the cat and put a catback exhaust on it. The light has been on for the sensor, but I was told by 3 mechanics that the light was because of the 02 sensor on the gutted cat and shouldn't be much of a problem. Nevetheless, on account of money, I'm scared to death on what it could be =\ Any help on the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Kotzur76; 06-12-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 03:32 AM
Staff Alumni

check fuel pressure and i'd try changing the fuel filter. Since most people never do that part of vehicle maintenence it probably is still the original one. Could also try cleaning the maf sensor with some electrical cleaner.

Is there a check engine light on?

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Air and fuel filters first.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I also noticed this morning, it's more, if completely, early on when starting to drive the car. Once it warms up and I've went a couple blocks or so, it seems to do it less, to almost non-existent. I could check the filters. I've also got an Injen Cold Air installed just as another fyi.

The check engine light is on, but as I said before, it's because of the O2 sensor for the cat.. which is gutted, lol. I may take it and see if it's shooting out other errors now though.

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 AM ----------

Update: I took it a couple places, and they told me that it seemed like something wrong with the 'mass flow' main line, something or another..? That it was electrical, something to do purely with the computer, and nothing mechanical.

The first guy told me it was purely the catalytic converter that my car was a failure because of it being gutted, and didn't want to help any further. No help there. I'm about to take it to a third place and see what they say.

Had the check engine light looked at twice, and the only errors it gave were the same ones with the cat.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Your o2 sensor behind the cat is throwing the code and trying to compensate which is giving you the problem. And yes it does effect performance too so you need to get that fixed. Codes = slow
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Considering a new cat is a bit expensive, I did see where I can get a defouler or a tunable defouler to make the error nonexistent here:

Modern Performance

Think that would be an okay step in the right direction? Again, if money wasn't the issue, I would just buy a high flow cat and throw it on there, but $25 < $200+.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
You can get one through ZZP for roughly 90 but I understand the difference in avail. cash still. I wouldn't waste my money on bs tunes, I would save to fix the cat. I'm not positive if that is the overall cause of your problem but I'm sure it's contributing. Still check the filter.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If you get a code for MAF, you should also make sure you don't have any air leaks between MAF and the mouth of the throttle body. Even around MAF gasket itself. Make sure your inlet tube is sealed tight.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
My hose clamp between the TB and the intake tube wiggled loose and was throwing car off bad and it would shake violently (thanks for reminding me of that Coby) you should check that connection.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotzur76 View Post
The first guy told me it was purely the catalytic converter that my car was a failure because of it being gutted, and didn't want to help any further. No help there. I'm about to take it to a third place and see what they say.
Were either of the first two mechanics you visited associated with one of our GM dealerships? If so I'm available to follow up on this with them if you like. Please get in touch via PM here on the forum (include the last 8 of your VIN).

Sarah
GM Customer Service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
clutch , gas , hiccup , pump , stutter

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode