Corrosion Warranty? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Corrosion Warranty?

can anyone tell me how the corrosion warranty works on our cars

I have a 2008 cobalt, and I found out it has a 6 year, 100,000 mile corrosion warranty

the bottom of both of my passenger doors (the inside lip) are scabbing up, the paint has peeled completely off, and are starting to turn brown with rust

I would like to take care of this before it gets visable and bad, but how does the warranty work, would this be a warranty claim?

I could fix this myself...just another thing on this car I would need to tend to, but if it can be covered under warranty, why not let them do it?

John
2008 Cobalt LT
SS springs and Stagg struts
Pioneer AVIC-X930BT GPS
Memphis 16-MCH600 "Baby Belle" hybrid amplifier
MB quart Premium 6.5" componant/premium tweeters front
MB quart Premium 5.25 componant/premium tweeters rear
Memphis PR-10" sub in factory sub box

miles and miles of dynamat extreme...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
You can do a terrible cover and blend job like the person before me and not tell the person you end up selling it to! Sorry, it's a sore spot for me. I'd call the dealership if there is a warranty.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
my father and grandfather owned an auto body shop when I was a kid, I worked there until I was about 22,

I know the right way to do it, although rust is cancer, it's very hard to completely get rid of, and if you don't get rid of all of it, it will come back

that, is one of the things that worries me about getting it fixed under warranty too...will they just do a cheap "lipstick on a pig" fix so that the rust just comes back after the warranty is over?

overall, I just have a bad opinion of GM service due to previous experences...I am not sure this would be any better

John
2008 Cobalt LT
Pioneer AVIC-X930BT GPS

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jignaczak View Post
my father and grandfather owned an auto body shop when I was a kid, I worked there until I was about 22,

I know the right way to do it, although rust is cancer, it's very hard to completely get rid of, and if you don't get rid of all of it, it will come back

that, is one of the things that worries me about getting it fixed under warranty too...will they just do a cheap "lipstick on a pig" fix so that the rust just comes back after the warranty is over?

overall, I just have a bad opinion of GM service due to previous experences...I am not sure this would be any better
Talk to Sarah "ChevyCustSvc" - she works for GM and will help get you settled.

My buddy had the same issue with his Cobalt - they just replaced the door.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
Agreed, I will never take my car to a GM mechanic unless it is the only other option. If you have that much experience I would say just do it yourself and save the hastle.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
Talk to Sarah "ChevyCustSvc" - she works for GM and will help get you settled.

My buddy had the same issue with his Cobalt - they just replaced the door.
Only problem is he is talking about right behind the door by the wheel well. That is attached to the roof so they will not just replace it.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Quote:
the bottom of both of my passenger doors (the inside lip) are scabbing up, the paint has peeled completely off, and are starting to turn brown with rust
Sounds like its on the doors? On the inside lip, as in under the door, but on the vertical lip.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbalts View Post
Agreed, I will never take my car to a GM mechanic unless it is the only other option. If you have that much experience I would say just do it yourself and save the hastle.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Only problem is he is talking about right behind the door by the wheel well. That is attached to the roof so they will not just replace it.
it's a hassle to do it myself, it's alot of work to do it right

no, it's not behind the wheel well, it's the bottom lips of both passenger doors, they could replace the doors, if they wanted to

John
2008 Cobalt LT
Pioneer AVIC-X930BT GPS

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
Thats the way I would go then.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
That corrosion warranty to be is boguss. If you read the fine print they don't cover surface rust, it has to come from the inside to be covered. I could never get a GM covered except for one vehicle that the clear had peeled (1979 Citation).

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Coby,

yet another disappointment in GM service, and they wonder why they teetered on the virge of non-existance

I'm going to do a little more research on this...and find out for sure what is covered

my opinion is, their coatings failed, which then caused the rust to be able to form...therefore...it's a fault with the car

I swear, I get more and more disappointed in this car daily...:(

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

from the GM website:

Sheet Metal Coverage
Sheet metal panels are covered against corrosion and rust-through as follows:
Corrosion: Body sheet metal panels are covered against rust for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Rust-Through: Any body sheet metal panel that rusts through. This is an actual hole in the sheet metal and is covered for up to 6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first

so, basically it has to look like crap before they will cover it, but if I do nothing, it will look like crap, but will it go to shit before the warranty runs out?

ugh

John
2008 Cobalt LT
Pioneer AVIC-X930BT GPS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement