Throttle Position Sensor Leading to Other Problems?? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Throttle Position Sensor Leading to Other Problems??

WOW, it's been a long time since I've been on this site. (And, to be honest, since the only reason I was really on here was for issues with my Balt, I can't say that I miss it.)

This is gonna be a bit long. Since it's been so long since I've been on here, want to refresh some things.

So this is my issue (not really mine, my mom's). 05 Balt LS 4 door, 63-64xxx miles. Out of the blue, her check engine light comes on sometime over the weekend. She takes it to autozone or somewhere, has the code read (not cleared), and it's the throttle position sensor code. To make a long story short, she took it to chevy, and today they installed a new throttle body, and since her warranty is only good through tomorrow, only had to pay the deductible.

Back in November-ish of 2010, I had a stalling issue and CEL on MY balt (an 06 LT 2 door). CEL (at the time, at least) was the same as mentioned above. My mechanic (NOT chevy, as I was well out of my warranty) suggested just seeing if it would correct itself. It didn't. A couple of months later (1 of which the car was parked due to an accident), my hubby put a new throttle body in. For ALL of 2011, I STILL fought issues (misfires, which caused stalling). Between late 2010 and early January of 2012, it stalled out on me when coming to a stop (but only when the temperature was 30 degrees or below). Over that time, we replaced the fuel filter, cleaned injectors (x2), replaced injectors, replaced plugs (x2, once with autolites, once with ac delcos), replaced coil pack, and cleaned MAF sensor. At the end of January, I drove my car to work (was fine, no stalling). On my lunch break, however, I started her up, and she had a louder-than-crap knock to her. I kid you not, it made the car louder than the 72 IH pickup my hubby is restoring, and she's been parked since.

I spoke to my mom today after she picked up HER car. She said that she can already tell that it's running better than before.

Now, this is my question(s)-

Did "waiting it out" like my wrench suggest totally screw me?? Would I still be driving my Balt today, instead of a leased CRV that has put a 2 adult family up to 3 car payments (and 3 full-coverage insurance plans lol)? OR, is it inevitable that a TPS code will eventually lead to a misfire issue down the road? (I guess inevitable isn't the right word. Basically, what I mean is, did anyone else have the misfire right after the TPS code like I did.)

My mom's car is at about the same mileage mine was when I started having issues. She's planning on retiring at the end of this year, and I REALLY don't want to see her have to be nickel and dimed by her balt like I was. She doesn't really want to get into a car payment again, esp. not now, BUT her car is in immaculate condition and VERY low mileage, and could get upwards of $6000 TRADE IN for it. (Per KBB.)

When my car was wrecked, the insurance company was close to totaling it out. My husband (at my request alone) talked them out of it. (It was super close, and since he's a body guy, he knew the adjuster well and was able to convince them not to.) I am regretting it day in and day out since January of this year, of course, but hindsight is always 20/20. I just really don't want to see my mom miss out on getting over $6k for her car now and having a POS a year from now that she can barely get $1000 out of.

What are your guys' thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
I drive an 05 ls with 137k on the ticker and have not had a single problem and I race the dang thing! Some balts just got a curse and others are blessed by God her self! If it has run this good for this long dont trade it in! my opinion of course.

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbalts View Post
I drive an 05 ls with 137k on the ticker and have not had a single problem and I race the dang thing! Some balts just got a curse and others are blessed by God her self! If it has run this good for this long dont trade it in! my opinion of course.
Yeah, that's something I didn't mention earlier. My mom's car has been absolutely perfect up to now, other than the button on her shifter broke off. (Mine, on the other hand had some issues before like key getting stuck in ignition, possessed door locks, junk key fob, clunking noise in front end, went through batteries like crazy- about once a year.) I think I just got a lemon and didn't realize it til it was too late. It just kinda worries me that her first ever CEL was THAT CEL, esp. since it was also MY first CEL.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Honestly, it's 50/50 the same chance you took in repairing yours. I don't think the throttle body had anything to do with your misfire issues.(Maybe the other way around) I think your misfires were caused by a cracked head gasket. Coolant would seep in one or more of your cylinders. Coolant doesn't burn therefore a misfire. When coolant get's into the cylinder some of it blows by the rings and contaminates the oil. Causing premature bearing wear. Hydraulic timing chain tensionner works with oil pressure and not coolant that foams. I think this is what brought down your engine.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Honestly, it's 50/50 the same chance you took in repairing yours. I don't think the throttle body had anything to do with your misfire issues.(Maybe the other way around) I think your misfires were caused by a cracked head gasket. Coolant would seep in one or more of your cylinders. Coolant doesn't burn therefore a misfire. When coolant get's into the cylinder some of it blows by the rings and contaminates the oil. Causing premature bearing wear. Hydraulic timing chain tensionner works with oil pressure and not coolant that foams. I think this is what brought down your engine.
If it were the head gasket, wouldn't it have been overheating/white smoke/high temps? Or is that no longer the case with these newer vehicles? (Last time I had head gasket issues was in a 91 dodge shadow lol.)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
None of the above you would just find yourself adding coolant once in a while unless it was a full blown leak. That is why these problems are so hard to detect. I always put my old oil in a clear jug when I take it out of the car let it sit over night and check for any seperation. I always dread the day that I see anything but oil in that jug the next day. So far so good with the Cobalt. Then I dispose of the oil clean my clear jug and it awaits the next oil change which happens to be tomorrow for the Cobalt.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode