Steering Rack Acting Up Now - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Steering Rack Acting Up Now

I brought my 2006 Cobalt back to the mechanic who replaced my struts because my car is wandering and has been pulling to the left, also feels loose.
They tested everything, disconnected steering linkage components to check for binding, checked alignment and tires etc.
They tried to check the steering position sensor but they said their scope was blocked from reading the info.
Their conclusion was that the steering rack needs to be replaced. Damn it! My car really started acting up after the power steering motor recall and the intermediate shaft had to be replaced for the second time. Now this.
These problems should not be cropping up continually and GM should have extended our warranties because they know all about the faulty steering and front end components in our cars.
I'm afraid to find out how much this is going to cost me. If GM wants me to keep buying their products they really need to step up and help us out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 05:49 AM
Veteran

Garage
check bushings, how hard is it pulling on the highway? unlikely the rack needs to be replaced

07 LSJ turbo swap
-to4e 50 trim .63 a/r @ 19psi
-2.5" intercooler system with zzp bov
-2.5" exhaust
-turbonetics deltagate II w/voodoo boost controller
-3" intake
-siemens #60s
-aem uego wideband afr
-HP custom tune

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

It's pulling to the left mainly but also wandering. It doesn't feel dangerous, yet, but it makes it hard to drive comfortably.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Doesn't really sound like the steering rack. More like someone aligned your car incorrectly or didn't at all.

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Nope, they checked the alignment and rotated the tires to make sure it wasn't a tire issue
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Wandering is usually caused by inner tie rods. Tie rods wear on all vehicles. Inner tie rods come with a new or refurbish steering rack no matter what route you take. Maybe a 2 hour job if you don't know what your doing. If your rack is good you can just change inner tie rods.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

They said they checked the tie rods. So if I get the steering rack replaced it will come with new inner tie rods?

Signs of a bad steering rack

Car Wandering
If your car is wandering on the road, both at low speeds and high speeds, it’s a sign that the steering rack has gone bad. You’ll need to constantly correct the direction. However, the alignment will appear fine and there will be no excessive wear on the tires
Numb Spot
With a bad steering rack there will tend to be a so-called “numb spot” in the center of the steering. Between about 11 o’clock and 1 o’clock there might be little response, which can be a certain indication that there are steering rack problems.
Wheel Shaking
If the steering wheel shakes when moving at higher speeds, couple with too much play in the wheel, the steering rack has probably gone bad and needs to be replaced. Apart from anything else, the lack of control with a wheel shaking can prove to be dangerous, especially on freeways.
Power Steering Fluid
If your power steering fluid keeps going down, even after adding more, then it’s time to have the steering rack replaced. Check fluid levels regularly.

Last edited by steve333; 07-29-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode