Shot Bearing - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Shot Bearing

i have figured out that the front passenger wheel bearing is shot is there any damages that will seriously hurt the car if i continue to drive on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Veteran

Garage
get it replaced, one day very soon it will deteriorate so bad you wont be able to drive.

07 LSJ turbo swap
-to4e 50 trim .63 a/r @ 19psi
-2.5" intercooler system with zzp bov
-2.5" exhaust
-turbonetics deltagate II w/voodoo boost controller
-3" intake
-siemens #60s
-aem uego wideband afr
-HP custom tune

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Staff Alumni

Be a real bad day. If its real bad it will lock up, and you don't want that at any speed. I have a nice "How to" on here showing how to check and change wheel bearings

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
But they can be noisy a long time before they seize up. If you have ABS and the light hasn't come on yet you're probably good for a while yet. But one day the reluctor sprocket will lose it's alignement with detector and ABS light will come on, then you kinda have to change it. When the noise get's to annoying and you have the cash get it changed. My tolerance for bearing noise is not very high and I usually change it early.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Forum Regular

lol , reluctor sprocket....in U.S. we call it a excitor ring...or is reluctor the gm term for it?? what does reluctor mean anyway coby? just curious ty

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

never mind i looked it up...◦Latin Word for To Struggle Against
◦Latin Word for Resist

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

I am going to use that terminology now..thanks coby..I are smarter now :]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Well I used the term sprocket as an adjective because I thought it better described the toothed reluctor ring, but GM calls it a reluctor even to this day in their service manual. The term started way back when GM introduced electronic ignition in their distributors to replace the old point system. It had a reluctor ring to ignite the spark at the right time. Here is what it looks like for those who don't know what a reluctor ring is. It's that sprocket thing a-ma-gigy on the back of the bearing.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by krjrcustom1 View Post
lol , reluctor sprocket....in U.S. we call it a excitor ring...or is reluctor the gm term for it?? what does reluctor mean anyway coby? just curious ty

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

never mind i looked it up...◦Latin Word for To Struggle Against
◦Latin Word for Resist

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

I am going to use that terminology now..thanks coby..I are smarter now :]
Now that you have stopped laughing, apology excepted. I think.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Forum Regular

No no... dont take it wrong way...i think it is funny how terminology can be so different...you know...bonnet---> hood....stuff like that especially when were working on the same items. I guess I use excitor ring because the peaks excite the sensor to react..in same sense does reluctor create resistance and that is why it is called reluctor sprocket?? just wondering buddy ..no intention of insult coby...when you said reluctor sprocket I was thinking "what the hell is that" when I reliezed what it was it made me laugh. :]

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

By the way....why do you have what looks like a new bearing sittin around??side job?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Just a picture I got of google. It is called a reluctor ring because of the reactance it produces with it's ajoining inductive coil pick-up. Since a coil cannot produce a square wave it produces a spike at each edge of the toothed ring. One spike is positive and the other is negative. The circuit eliminates the negative spike and clips and amplifies the positive spike. This circuit counts the number of spikes per second therefore knowing the velocity of the wheel which it can compare to the three other wheels. Coming back to the thread topic when a bearing gets bad enough this reluctor ring misaligns itself with the pickup and no more pulses are produced. Circuit detects one wheel is stopped and three are turning and puts out an alarm. In this case it disables the ABS pump and turns on the ABS light.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

U know krjrcustom1, that is my big problem with writing. It is hard to put in words ones tone of voice. Emoticons help express the tone better sometimes . I'm not easily upset. But I often misunderstand peoples intentions. Plus english being my second language sometimes I just plain don't understand.

Last edited by Coby7; 08-01-2012 at 05:35 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Forum Regular

I have heard that American humor doesnt go over well in other countries..I honestly respect how much effort you put into helping other with their problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread