Unknown Cobalt Issue - Need Help - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Unknown Cobalt Issue - Need Help

Hi everyone, I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt LS.

The last few months my cobalt has been making really bad shaking noises under the hood, specifically this happens when the cobalt goes over a hole/bump on the road. Any even, smooth surface, it's fine & no noise. Had inspection done on it by two shops, both made note that front suspension shaking... but neither made any comment/concern over it. So, assuming it was not in need of immediate repair & just an inconvenience, I moved on.

So, recently I made a move cross-states last month, and only just this last month the cobalt has started shaking very badly in the front. I had a shop take a look at it, they said Bushing needed replaced... I'm no mechanic so I took there word for it as it sounded legit. However, that didn't solve anything, shaking continued.

With some family advice, was recommended to check out the tires. Had 2 new tires put on the front, and after i hit road from the tire shop... it got worse! ...took it to the shop & found out the jagoff never did balance the tires. They balanced the tires, the vibrations/shaking stopped & life was good.

So just this last week, the shaking came back. Took it back to the tire shop again, they believe its bent rims? They insist I hit something, which isn't true. Perhaps a pothole, but I see no dent/bent rims anywhere.

The vibrations happens at 50+mph, and when car is on even surface (highway). You can feel the vibrations in the gas pedal & steering wheel.

I apologize for the rambling, but I just would like to get some help, any insight/answers I needed!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Firstly you can't tell if a rim is bent or not by looking at it on the car. You have to remove it and spin it slowly on a balancing machine. Maybe you lost some weights since the last balance. The fact they didn't balance them the first time around tells me the grease monkey who installed your tires didn't have much experience. So maybe he didn't stick them on properly the second time around. Go to a reputable tire shop, make friends and they will set your issue straight. If you only get vibrations at higher speeds chances are it is a balancing or cheap tire problem.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 07:17 AM
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

I had got new rims and tires and same thing. So I took it back they rebalanced them they were both off then every thing was good about now 5 months later

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Was the shop you visited one of our dealerships? If so, I'm happy to follow up on this with them! Let me know, and I can send you my contact information via private message.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 03:02 AM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer View Post
The vibrations happens at 50+mph, and when car is on even surface (highway). You can feel the vibrations in the gas pedal & steering wheel.
Hi! Check this bolt

Bolt located under steering wheel on intermediate shaft - 3 on picture.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 05:38 AM
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Did you check your ball joints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode