Wet Passenger Floor - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Wet Passenger Floor

ok. i have read a few threads about a wet passenger floor and am wondering if anyone can explain were this clip or plug is that breaks and needs epoxied. the water is dripping out of the plastic box behind the center of the dash, not the blower motor, when it rains. i'll be cleaning out the drain today, but in case just want to see how much of the dash or cowl i will need to rip off to fix this. i'll be changing my cabin filter too just to be sure. when i run the fan on high with the ac off it has that musty smell so i am guessing it could be wet. thanks in advance for answering my question thats been asked a lot of times. i just couldn't find the info on the plug i was looking for. the search thing doesn't give you what you're looking for. when i search wet passenger floor, why does it give me misfire and idle problems....lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Well I think that clip that was talked about was BS from the dealer, because the A/C unit is an enclosed unit that only has one drain at the bottom. Unless they meant that water came in at one of the four plastic nutserts that the A/C unit bolts too on the firewall. These if broken might let some water in behind the A/C unit. Oops, got side tracked.....

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 08-18-2012 at 01:07 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

No go on the drain. It is clear about 4 inches in then i hit what i assume is hard plastic. Not to mention the insulation on the firewall below the drain is soaking wet! It hasn't rained since thursday and it is still dripping. Cabin filter is a little dirty, but nothing like the one i saw in the diy section, but it has to be excessive condensation from the ac since it was still dripping today. Totally stumped, other than maybe the windshield wasn't installed correctly, except that it doesn't have to rain fir it to do this. Any other thing you guys have found that could cause this?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Maybe it is just condensation on the A/C box itself if you live in a very humid area. Next time you come home with A/C on check under dash to see if outside of unit is wet from condensation. I always turn off A/C about 2Kms from destination to melt the ice on the exchanger.

The smelly feet scent is cause by fungi and bacteria on the exchangers. I spray these with fungi and bacteria killer made by Wynns everytime I change the cabin air filter. I'm sure other manufacturers work as well, but that's the one available to me.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

i was thinking condensation too, but there is A LOT of liquid. i can see it dripping out of the ac box, and the floor is soaking wet. when i have it on hi, max cool, the middle vents have condensation around them too. i have never seen a car have that much condensation from the ac. it isn't the heater core. what would i have to do to tear the box apart to check the entire drain system, or ac itself? someone has had to have had this problem before me.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Maybe your unit freezes to the point it blocks the drain for a while until it melts. Next time you come home, open the hood, the A/C should already be dripping out the drain. if not your core might just be a big block of ice waiting to melt.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Forum Regular

on the passenger side of the firewall behind the heat shield is the drain. it is a black plastic tube. also you could be taking on water from your sunroof drain tubes if you have a sunroof
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Newcomer

Garage
I have this issue as well, it happens after it rains, for instance I left it parked at the airport for a week came back and there was water in the passenger foot well. So it is not the A/C unit. I can also hear water moving under my car when I accelerate in the morning.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

yeah. mine is based on the use of it. i would say yours is a leaking window, or sunroof.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 07:04 AM
Forum Regular

the sunroof drain pipes always get plugged, but another place to check would be remove your wiper arms and that cowl panel cover. under there is a drain slots to let the water from the cowl out. if leaves and shit get down there its only other route is through your internal ac filter into the passenger side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode