Engine Start Up Noise :/ - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Engine Start Up Noise :/

I've been searching for a few months on this and while I've seen other threads on it I haven't really been able to find someone who fixed it or knows why some cobalts have a bad cold start, I was on my way to get coffee this morning and shot this video
. Let me know if this is the same noise some of you guys are hearing as or a fix for it. My cars been doing it for about 6 months around the 90,000 mark is when It started, weirdly all last week I didn't hear the cold start noise once and yesterday it was back again. My cars at 103k now, been running mobile 1 since about 50k, change it every 5k. Changed plugs in the spring prolly around the 80k so I don't think it's them. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks and it's a 07 2.2 5spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I didn't really hear anything in yours. Does it sound like this video i made?

WA636R - Switchblade Silver Mt 09 Sedan LT 2.2L LAP......Auto!

MODS:Fe5 TC Shock + Struts\Moog Endlinks\YYZ V1 Springs\SC Gunmetal Wheels. Badmab Shorty Header\GMPP Performance Exhaust\ZZP 2.5 Catted DP\K&N Drop-in filter\High Flow Intake Tube. Gen4 Headlights\6K Low Beam HID\LED 3rd Brake Light\LED Turn Signals,Plate,Trunk, Dome, Reverse, Side-marker\ Debadge "LT" & GM fender badges\Shorty Antenna

Join YC.com on Facebook! Like YC.com on facebook too!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Yeah but a lot lighter, I might have to take one outside of the car, did you ever get yours figured out?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I asked around and i got a couple different answers. Mostly some part that i forget the name of not being oiled up quick enough causing that sound, no known problems or things breaking because of that though. Or could also be the timing chain tensioner.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

Someone also said this

"its the Cam Phasers not parking correctly and oil taking a second to get to them. I read a discussion about it awhile ago where it was found to be not an issue."

WA636R - Switchblade Silver Mt 09 Sedan LT 2.2L LAP......Auto!

MODS:Fe5 TC Shock + Struts\Moog Endlinks\YYZ V1 Springs\SC Gunmetal Wheels. Badmab Shorty Header\GMPP Performance Exhaust\ZZP 2.5 Catted DP\K&N Drop-in filter\High Flow Intake Tube. Gen4 Headlights\6K Low Beam HID\LED 3rd Brake Light\LED Turn Signals,Plate,Trunk, Dome, Reverse, Side-marker\ Debadge "LT" & GM fender badges\Shorty Antenna

Join YC.com on Facebook! Like YC.com on facebook too!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Do you do your own oil changes?

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Yeah I do my own oil changes, had it changed once or twice by vavoline when I was lazy lol
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
The reason I'm saying is because the only thing stopping the oil from completely draining back to the oil pan is that little rubber "O" ring on the tip of the filter. Always insert filter in the engine first make sure it is centered and then screw the cap on with your hands and listen for the click when your filter snaps in place, then twist tight. This will ensure the "O" ring is well seated.

You might also want to add an oil treatment to maybe help your lifter retain their prime because in your video there is two decernable noises, one being your hydraulic timing belt tensionner being loose until it receives oil pressure and the other bit off noise is valvetrain noise cause by drainback and loss of lifter prime.

These engines I have noticed don't like to run below the full line for very long before they start to have all these little noises.

Again an oil treatment might swell up the seals and help you retain some oil up top.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Forum Regular

This is just my 2 cents but I had the same noise on my 2007 2.2 and it went away after about 300 miles with seafoam in the oil then an oil change with the new style AC Delco filter. The new style filters flow more oil. Look for ones that say made in the USA can be AC, Stp, or Mobile 1 they are all the same filter.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks coby7 and noblite, I'm gunna start with an oil treatment, then do an oil change and see how she goes, NOBLITE, I've ran some in my outboard motor just never added some to oil, do you mind telling me how much you put in and what kind? and I'm assuming from your post to run the seafoam for about 300 miles? Thanks
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxknight28 View Post
I asked around and i got a couple different answers. Mostly some part that i forget the name of not being oiled up quick enough causing that sound, no known problems or things breaking because of that though. Or could also be the timing chain tensioner.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

Someone also said this

"its the Cam Phasers not parking correctly and oil taking a second to get to them. I read a discussion about it awhile ago where it was found to be not an issue."
My car makes the same noise as u on cold startup but it only does it every once in awhile I never noticed anything different so I didn't think it was a big deal but who knows might be worth looking into

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode