BCM Issues and Other Electrical Gremlins - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

BCM Issues and Other Electrical Gremlins

Has anyone ever cleaned and coated there BCM terminals before to solve gremlins? I found a thread on the Pontiac G6 sight about the BCM and different issues they were having with their cars. One of the issues was that the radio would flash and play intermittently. I had that problem with two factory2008 cobalt radios. The dealer replaced the first one under warranty and I replaced the second with an aftermarket and it still has gremlins. The front speakers won't work most of the time and I can shut the car off get out and lock the car and open the trunk and within 5 seconds I get a blip out of the radio for less than a second. Any Experience with these kind of gremlins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 06:51 AM
Newcomer

Electrical Gremlins

Hey ratpwr71,

I would have to say yes this would solve many of the issues we are having with cobalt electric oddities.

I have a 2007 Cobalt with manual trans and 85,000 miles.
I have had the gauges go crazy and the power steering message flashes on and off and the no start issue for about the last year. These were all intermittent and lately it has been colder at night and raining and every morning when I go out to start the car nothing happens, I have power and all the lights and radio work just nothing and like so many others when I go out in 10 min it starts up?

Finally I had some time to devote to looking into as everyone says the dealer just wants to replace parts.
Coby7 has several good posts on things that could be a problem

-so I started with all the grounds that might be dirty or loose, they were ok.
-checked the fuse box cleaned and made sure fuses were ok
-The ecm on my cobalt was loosely installed and didn't seem like it should be just rattling around so I cleaned all the connections and put some dielectric grease on them and secured the ecm with some foam so it wouldn't rattle around.
I also put a ground on the ecm as some suggested might solve the problem.

Still had the issue so I went to the BCM:
-some fuses seemed loose so I reinserted and on the 2 harness plugs I put dielectric grease on all the leads and plugged back in.(This has been suggested by Coby7 to solve many similar problems with electronics) and in my case this seems to have solved the problem. Been driving for 5 days with none of the issues with gauges or start up. (I'll keep my fingers crossed)

Good Luck

Gary
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Front radio speakers is a different issue all together, they just go bad. But BCM connector contacts getting dirty and corroding is a known issue not only with Cobalts but all GMs with BCMs. For some reason these oxydize over time and loose contact intermittently. Most of the time just disconnecting the two connectors and re-connecting cleans them enough to clear BCM issues for a while. Cleaning and adding dielectric grease makes it last longer for sure. Pulling and re-inserting fuses also solve some other problems like your radio coming on and off. Good luck.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 10:22 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Bcm really SHOULDN'T be the problem since its inside the cabin. Loose grounds(negatve battery especially) or EMI sounds suspicious with the intermitant gauges and power steering fluctuation.. Have you added any electronics recently? Hid's, audio, led's etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode