Awful Fumes in Car... Lead Me to the Battery - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Awful Fumes in Car... Lead Me to the Battery

After parking my car on my home from work, running into a garage, and returning out to my car... It smelled horrific... I can't even describe it... Burning rotten eggs... maybe.

I drove home... window down... Parked got out... did a few things... wen back to car... same smell... We had been getting ALOT of rain today, although not when this occured, I thought maybe some water got throught the spoiler mounts and got my carpet wet, So I pop the trunk and the smell would about knock you down... I removed the cover to expose the battery and spare tire... and there was my battery, steaming, out of the side where the "drain" hose thingy should be... The battery was also very hot to the touch... normal? This is all with the engine off btw.

Just wondering if the hose coming disconnected caused this or if something is up with my battery/alternator.. i.e. Overheating... Thanks guys...

Oh and there was moisture in the trunk around the spare tire, but I have to think that was from the battery "steam"?

Last edited by Coby7; 09-26-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Grammar just one "L" in awful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Send a message via AIM to shaggy87
All this happened to me, minus the hose coming off, and than I was buying a new battery cause mine was dead.

Sent from iPhone
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Yeah that's not normal, battery should not get hot and that moisture must be battery acid so be careful cleaning it up. Like Shaggy87 said you will probably need a new battery, get your alternator check it might be over charging.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Stopped by autozone... Everything checked out normal... charging properly, and holding charge under a load.. etc. Checked the alternator through the battery also.. Everything came out good.

Only thing I can figure is... When the hose popped off, the battery fumes were escaping into a already "closed" environment...Maybe where the heat couldn't escape properly, It caused my battery to get really hot. After hooking up the hose... the smell is nearly non existent now...

The Hot battery is what threw me off..

Time will tell I guess... I have a '06 model with a AC Delco battery, I'm guessing original.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 07:55 PM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
The battery being hot is not a good thing. I'm not sure what would cause that but the hose you are talking about is a vent. It vents the gasses out of the car that a battery puts out. That smell is normal when a battery is charging.

Is the label on your battery gray or blue? If it is gray that means you have the original battery. If it's blue that is an AC delco replacement battery.

If you still have your original battery at 6 years old I would recommend getting a new one anyway. It's not gonna last much longer if it's that old.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
The Hot battery is what threw me off..
a battery getting hot whle its charging usually means its low on water/acid
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

It was a grey top... original... I replaced it with a Duralast Gold, no problems since then, I guess it's possible the battery had a "short" or something within it...

Last edited by Coby7; 09-26-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: y
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 08:06 PM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Yeah it was time for a new one. The battery cells can go bad and "short" like you said. good choice in getting a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode