Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts

-   Problems and Service (https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/problems-service/)
-   -   Ecu Question (https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/problems-service/30056-ecu-question.html)

corvairbob 09-23-2012 08:23 AM

Ecu Question

my car quit on the road no code but reduced engine power and disabling engine came up. took it to the dealer and they say bad ecu. 700.00 to replace ? on programming. took it home and today wouldn't you know it won't start. scan Gage now says p0601 bad ecu. so now what options do i have? can i get an ecu from the junk yard and plug it in and go or do i have to spring for the 100.00 repair at the dealer? or can i get a junk yard ecu and jut take it to the dealer with my vin and have them program it on the bench? or can i send mine or another one in to a repair shop and have it repaired or re-programed and just plug it back in and go? thanks

Coby7 09-23-2012 08:44 AM

Is this for a Cobalt? What year? What options?

corvairbob 09-23-2012 08:51 AM

cobalt 06 2.2 auto lt power everything window mirrors steering wheel controls anti theft cruise a/c and what ever else come is that package vin is 1g1a155f867722153 thanks

Coby7 09-23-2012 10:48 AM

Disconnect battery, remove both connectors of the "PCM" remove it from it's slot inspect and clean connectors. Re-install and insert connectors several times to help clean contacts from corrosion. Wait 15 minutes. Re-connect battery and try starting your car.

corvairbob 09-23-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coby7 (Post 584237)
Disconnect battery, remove both connectors of the "PCM" remove it from it's slot inspect and clean connectors. Re-install and insert connectors several times to help clean contacts from corrosion. Wait 15 minutes. Re-connect battery and try starting your car.

did that still won't start. i did manage to get one code before the scanner failed to reconnect that was p0601. i found out was a failed ecu internal problem. do you happen to know if i can get a junkyard ecu and plug it in or if not can i just bring in a ecu and get it bench programed or just buy one from gm have them program it with my vin number and plug it in? thanks

Coby7 09-23-2012 02:22 PM

Well P0601 is a PCM ram checksum error so more than likely the dealer was right. Since the PCM is a non-serviceable part you might need to get an other one. Any garage with a Tech2 can erase and reprogram a PCM if he knows what he's doing and pretty sure the dealer will reprogram a used one for you, they just can't warranty the work.

corvairbob 09-23-2012 03:02 PM

i figured that would be the case but do you know if they need the car in the garage or can it ake the ecu to them for programming?

Coby7 09-23-2012 04:02 PM

Yes, the "PCM" has to be in the car for it to be programmed and matched to the "BCM","TDM", "TCM" and "ABS" module. Your new PCM will have to do a re-learn at some point and I think it is better to let somebody with experience handle it. They can erase and program your VIN, but this has to be done through the OBDII connector so does the re-learn process. You can do a re-learn without the TechII but you will eventually need the TechII to clear all the codes encountered during the process. Some of which might leave your engine in limp mode until viewed and cleared.

I know How you feel I hate going to the dealer also but sometimes it's the only option. I even bought a TechII for myself to try and avoid the dealer lol....

corvairbob 09-23-2012 05:05 PM

so if i was to get one of these tech ll scanners i could put in a different ecu and then make it read all the other computers in my car? does the scanners come with all the programming to do this? and will it have the program to make the car run or will i have to download this program? if so where can i get it. also are these scanners complete or cables and software i then you a laptop with? thanks

Coby7 09-23-2012 05:12 PM

TechII cost 3500$, 800$for TCIS log in license and password for one year only. Better to go to dealer or friendly mechanic that has one and knows what to do.