06 Taillight Replacement? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

06 Taillight Replacement?

Hello all - I apologize that my first post is a question but I will admit, I do not know much about cars!

Today while in Target grocery shopping, someone must have bumped into my car - there are no dents or dings or scratches but my right taillight (passenger size) the plastic is partially broken.

The place we usually go for maintenance for our car doesn't carry the part so told me to go get it from a dealer and they would put it in for us.

I am totally out of my element and don't even know where a Chevy dealer near me is! Obviously I'm going to go about fixing that issue after I finish writing this post, but I am just concerned - they couldn't give me a quote without a part. Is this an expensive part to replace? Is it an expensive repair job? If I call the dealer and tell them I need a part are they going to laugh at me for asking for a part and not a repair? (Or rather, will they laugh and tell me no? They can laugh all they want, hah.)

Last edited by Coby7; 09-27-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
They will tell you they have the set for $200ish dollars and you will pay out the nose to have it installed. Get some aftermarket ones for $80 through andys auto, rock auto, local used dealer, or some other co. It's only three bolts to fix if you have a coupe and I'm sure one more if you have a sedan.

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Yeah that's sort of what I'm afraid of!

After you said that I googled taillight replacement (I have no idea why I didn't do that initially - panic, I guess!). I found this:

Which after watching and deciding that really doesn't look as frightening as I was worried it would be! I am not techy but ... I think I could do that.

2006 Chevy Cobalt Tail Lights (Taillights) at 1AAuto.com

When I poked around their website I found that - is buying online a bad idea for cars or is that not a huge issue?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
70% of my parts are from ebay or online retailers. There is a lot of legislation out there protecting you as an online buyer. Just make sure you use a paypal account and you will be ok.

If you want, post up the link to what you are thinking about buying and we can weigh in.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

If you cant install this light yourself with tools sitting around your house I will pay you $20!!!!

99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

That's kind of what I figured..nowadays so much seems to be online.

2005 - 2010 Chevy Cobalt Chevy Cobalt 4 Door Sedan Taillight Passenger Side at 1AAuto.com - that is what I was looking at, it says 05-10 Chevy Cobalt Sedan Passenger side taillight?

And thank you very much. I appreciate all the input - I feel embarrassed at how little I know about my own car!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
$45 a pop on ebay, take the one from the whole saller so you dont end up with a scratched up one....
cobalt sedan taillight passenger | eBay

Dont be embarassed, thats why these forums exist. People have questions at all skill levels.

Feel free to ask any other questions, any time.

Oh, and all cobalt taillights are the same 05-10 for coupes and sedans.

99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Oh wow, didn't even think of ebay! Thank you :o

And thank you, I very much appreciate it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
You are welcome, thats what the forum is here for. Ask if you got more questions, even if you aren't sure how to change a light, we all started somewhere.

Welcome to the community by the way.

99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thank you We've had our car for six years and never had any issues with it, but I'm glad to know this community is here!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
6 years and no issue is great! I came in here not knowing jack squat either now i know a handful and still learning. I find it fun diving in to my car and doing all kinds of work to it, once you get familiar you will change those lights in 2 minutes.

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

That video explains it perfectly, except for behind the liner i had a nut in there not that black part, wish i did, wouldn't be a pain in the ass to remove liken now.

WA636R - Switchblade Silver Mt 09 Sedan LT 2.2L LAP......Auto!

MODS:Fe5 TC Shock + Struts\Moog Endlinks\YYZ V1 Springs\SC Gunmetal Wheels. Badmab Shorty Header\GMPP Performance Exhaust\ZZP 2.5 Catted DP\K&N Drop-in filter\High Flow Intake Tube. Gen4 Headlights\6K Low Beam HID\LED 3rd Brake Light\LED Turn Signals,Plate,Trunk, Dome, Reverse, Side-marker\ Debadge "LT" & GM fender badges\Shorty Antenna

Join YC.com on Facebook! Like YC.com on facebook too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode