Code P0315 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Code P0315

well i had a ecm issue and had it repaired. 700.00 later the first code i got was p0601 bad ecu then got it back and code p0315 came up took it back and they taught the crank sensor. i could not rest it. then yesterday the same code but i was able to reset it. so i left the scan gage on it to see what may be going on. and i noticed it will go into and out of closed loop. i did install a new 02 sensor last Saturday. i never had a car go into and out of loop before so this is new to me. might this be one cause of the code p0315.

also i do have a new crank position sensor can i just remove the old one and put in the new one or will it need to be taught again after the new one is installed? if i can replace it will i need to remove a battery cable to turn off the ecu or can i just unplug it and change it and plug it back in. thanks i do notice the mileage is dropping some now so this problem may be affecting the mileage. thanks bp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Procedure calls for a re-learn "CPS" after install but not always necessary. If the new crank position sensor specifications are close to the old ones it should work without throwing a code. Otherwise a re-learn is in order. About 95% don't need re-learn. And yes just disconnect sensor change and re-connect plus clear codes.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

coby if i understand you correct. are u saying i can take the old crank sensor out and install a new one and be good to go. i should not have to deal with the ecu or relearn anything? it is a plug and go item? i have had this code come up 2 more times since my last post, so i wonder what else can cause this? a coolant sensor maybe. what problems will it give me if i keep getting the code and how will it affect the mileage? thanks

---------- Post added 10-18-2012 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-17-2012 at 11:43 PM ----------

so can anyone tell me why i get an open loop when the car is stopped? thanks i changed the 02 sensor but before that i never drove with the scan gage on the car so i can't say for sure if i got the open loop before this past week.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

can anyone tell me why i keep getting this code? about every 2 days it comes up. i have been clearing it but now i will just leave it and maybe it will just go away? code p0315 will the coolant temp cause this?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
DTC P0315
Circuit Description
The Crankshaft Position (CKP) system variation learn feature is used to calculate reference period errors caused by slight tolerance variations in the crankshaft, and the CKP sensor. The calculated error allows the powertrain control module (PCM) to accurately compensate for reference period variations. This enhances the ability of the PCM to detect misfire events over a wider range of engine speed and load. The PCM stores the CKP system variation values after a learn procedure has been performed. If the actual crankshaft position variation is not within the CKP system variation compensating values stored in the PCM, DTC P0300 may set. If the PCM detects that the CKP system variation values are not stored in the PCM memory, DTC P0315 sets.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Change the crankposition sensor, it will not get better. Soon engine will fail to start and if it does it might run rough or cut out completely.

When you start your car it is always in open loop for about 2 minutes until HO2s are warmed up. Your car runs on the learned data matrix which gets totally updated about every 20 minutes of driving.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

thanks can i just change it then. i get the idea if i change it i have to get it relearned or the engine will not start.

so tell me i can just remove the sensor and install a new one and the engine will start and run. my car is in open loop for a short time i don't think is is even 2 minutes long. but sometimes when i'm stopped is shows open loop. does that mean anything? thanks
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Have you had any luck getting this resolved over the weekend, corvairbob? If there is anything I can look into for you, please don't hesitate to get in touch via private message (include the last 8 of your VIN).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

no I did not. I need to know if I can replace the crank sensor without having to relearn the computer. I think coby7 said yes but it was a bit confusing to me so I don't want to just do it and find I have to tow the car to the dealer to get it fixed. and I need to know where the sensor is. I get 2 locations for 2.2 engine and it can't be in both places. in fact on this board I get under the crank pulley and behind the starter in the same post.

vin is 1g1al55f867722153 so tell me can I just change the sensor and where is it? thanks
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

I'm sorry, corvairbob - I don't have information on how to find the sensor and the proper procedures for changing it as we do rely upon our dealerships for that. Hopefully somebody with insight into this will chime in soon!

Sarah, GM Customer Service
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I know I've posted this before but what the hell. I know you don't believe me since you keep asking but 99.9% of the time your engine will not need a re-learn after sensor change and it will always start if the new sensor is good and installed properly. It will eventually re-learn on it's own when you drive it. So it might not run perfect at first but take it out for a spin with a few heavy acceleration and you'll be fine. Plus you can always put the old one back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
codes , ecu , sensors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode