Electrical or Alternator Problem? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Electrical or Alternator Problem?

I drive a 2007 cobalt ls coupe, 5 speed.
For a while now whenever my car is on, every light on the vehicle pulsates or flickers from bright to dim, literally every light. Dash, head unit, headlights, tail lights, side markers.
Is this contributed to a problem with the alternator? Or something electrical like a short or a loose connection? Or something totally different?
Any input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 03:39 AM
Staff Alumni

you could check your battery connections, but its probably your alternator going out. You could put your dmm on the battery and see if the voltages are fluctuating like crazy. Although it might be that the alternator is just barely keeping the battery charged, so look to see if your voltage seems low too

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 07:40 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Welcome to the forum, pooptag.

If you wanted for me to check into anything for you as far as recalls or warranty information is concerned, or if you were planning on working with a dealership to get the electrical issue on your Cobalt checked out, please let me know. As you're new to the forum, I do not believe you can use the private messaging tool yet, but I can forward you my email address.

Sarah, GM Customer Service

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by money_man View Post
you could check your battery connections, but its probably your alternator going out. You could put your dmm on the battery and see if the voltages are fluctuating like crazy. Although it might be that the alternator is just barely keeping the battery charged, so look to see if your voltage seems low too
Battery conncetions are all good, and voltages are too. I heard something about cobalt alternators checking out good as well, until the are completely dead but I don't know. thanks though

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCustSvc View Post
Welcome to the forum, pooptag.

If you wanted for me to check into anything for you as far as recalls or warranty information is concerned, or if you were planning on working with a dealership to get the electrical issue on your Cobalt checked out, please let me know. As you're new to the forum, I do not believe you can use the private messaging tool yet, but I can forward you my email address.

Sure, that sounds great if you could
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 07:17 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooptag View Post
Sure, that sounds great if you could
Good morning!

I just sent you a private message with information on how to get in touch with me via email. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
alternator , electrical , flashing , flickering , problem

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode