Cobalt Dies While Turning - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Angry Cobalt Dies While Turning

I am pretty new to this forum but from what I have read, you guys help out a lot. This has been going for a while now and I have just been dealing with it. But I need to figure out what the heck is going on and get it fixed.

I have an '06 Cobalt 2.2L Coupe with the "Sports Pkg" since December 2005. The problem: sometimes when I speed up and then hit the brakes or hit a speed bump, my car will die. Or while I am turning right or left it will die. I idles pretty badly sometimes, while other times it acts fine. It just dies randomly. My step-dad (who is a mechanic on large equipment) thinks that I need a tune up. But doesn't that entail spark plug replacement?

Anyway, any input on what I need to do would help greatly. I need my car to last another year or so since I am still in college!

Thanks,

Ashley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Staff Alumni

sounds like an electrical issue to me. Have you had all recalls performed?

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Welcome to the forum aggiegirl21,

I can check on recalls and warranty information for you, if you want. Please get me the last 8 digits of your VIN (I can send you my email address if you like since you're new to the forum and can't use the messaging tool I don't think).

Sarah, GM Customer Service

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If it dies when you hit a bump it is a physical connection that is loose or broken. And yes you probably need a tune-up if you never had one done and get the throttle body cleaned. Any codes? Is the "Service engine light" on?

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 10-26-2012 at 05:33 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Expert

could be the fuel pump. About a year and half ago I had a similar problem. They replaced my fuel rail thinking it was the the rail not holding pressure, but it turned out to be the fuel pump was weak.

2009 Imperial Blue Metallic Cobalt SS/TC Sedan - "Stock":
2008 Victory Red HHR SS - Stock
2005 Chili Pepper Red Ion Redline - Stock
2007 Sunburst Orange Metallic LS Coupe - Sold
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 05:29 AM
Newcomer

I've had this same problem for about two months, but after cleaning up the terminals,maf,throttle body, and fuel filter it only does it once every few days. I personally think its something going on in the ecu. This is a seriously dangerous problem. I can't believe gm doesn't have a fix for it there's plenty of complaints out about it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Samiam1017,

Did you have further success getting this resolved over the weekend? If you want for me to check into anything for you, let me know! I can check into warranty or recall information for you or work with you through the process of getting this checked into at your dealership. As you're new to the forum, I don't know if you can use the private message tool but let me know if you want any help and I can send you my email address.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCustSvc View Post
Welcome to the forum aggiegirl21,

I can check on recalls and warranty information for you, if you want. Please get me the last 8 digits of your VIN (I can send you my email address if you like since you're new to the forum and can't use the messaging tool I don't think).

Sarah,
If you could send me your email address, I will get my VIN # to you.

All,
Sorry it's taken me a while to get back on here, I had a blow out yesterday and I now am getting a new tire and I also have to get a new wheel too. Seems like when it rains, it pours. Service engine light is on. I had the transmission looked at a couple of months ago, and they told me 3 codes were out. There wasn't any problems with my transmission, thank goodness! I will look into getting a tune up to see if that will fix the problem and I will look into the fuel pump/filter issue as well. Thanks for the input, guys!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Newcomer

Post your email and I contact you too Sarah. Thx
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Forum Regular

Our cars don't have a throttle cable they are drive by wire so if you lose your battery contact your car will shut off. Check battery cables and such,good luck!

2006 Cobalt ls,18" motegi rims,eibach extreme spring,koni yellows,real carbon fiber bolt on hood with scoop,redline spoiler,projector halo headlights,20% tint,carbon fiber bowties,custom carbon fiber dash kit,carbon fiber side mirrors, k&n typhoon cai ,full magnaflow exhaust with pacesetter header,twm short throw shifter,rzo weighted shift knob,ac delco iridium plugs,3 gauge pillar with a/f ratio,oil pressure,volt meter,alpine ina-w19 dd touch,everything else alpine as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode