Code P0315 New Sensor New Ecu - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Code P0315 New Sensor New Ecu

well a few weeks ago i had to have the ECU replaced code 601 then after that was replaced brand new i started to get code p0315. that code never went away. Saturday i replaced the crank sensor. brand new Napa part. well i got the code again. yesterday. now i guess that code would not bother so much the car runs and it seems to run fine but the mileage sucks. 1/8 tank gas in a 15 mile trip. simply not acceptable. the mileage is fine as long as that fault is not present. now i have a scan gage connected and i use that to reset the fault, but before the ECU was replaced i never got any code ever.

so can anyone shed some light on what may be going on. i had a brand new 700.00 ECU installed by the gm dealer they did the programing 2 times. i traded a car in to buy a new Hyundai sonata a 98 Saturn sw2 that ran like a top now I'm wondering if i picked the wrong car.

it seems to set the code when i start the engine the first thing in the day. i work second so that is 1:00 PM. but could be in the morning. i have a few more repairs to do but hesitate to do them while this is going on. don't want to put more money into it if this is going to keep up. just in case it leads to major engine work. thanks bp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Were you there when they did the system variation learn of the new PCM? Because if you were it sounds like they are going to blow your engine, because they have to bring the rpms to cut off point. If this wasn't done they never did the crank position sensor variation learn.

Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn
Important: The crankshaft position (CKP) system variation learn procedure is required when the following service procedures have been performed, regardless of whether DTC P0315 is set:
• Engine replacement

• Engine control module (ECM) replacement

• Crankshaft damper replacement

• Crankshaft replacement

• CKP sensor replacement

• Any engine repairs which disturb the crankshaft to CKP sensor relationship

Important: The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the CKP system variation learn procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:

• CKP sensor activity--If there is a CKP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

• Camshaft position (CMP) signal activity--If there is a CMP signal condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

• Engine coolant temperature (ECT)--If the engine coolant temperature is not warm enough, idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches the correct temperature.

Install a scan tool.
Monitor the ECM for DTCs with a scan tool. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P0315, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle for the applicable DTC that set.
With a scan tool, select the CKP system variation learn procedure and perform the following:
3.1. Observe the fuel cut-off for the applicable engine.

3.2. Block the drive wheels.

3.3. Set the parking brake.

3.4. Place the vehicle's transmission in Park or Neutral.

3.5. Turn the air conditioning (A/C) OFF.

3.6. Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON.

3.7. Apply and hold the brake pedal for the duration of the procedure.

3.8. Start and idle the engine.

3.9. Accelerate to wide open throttle (WOT). The engine should not accelerate beyond the calibrated fuel cut-off RPM value noted in step 3.1. Release the throttle immediately if the value is exceeded.

Important: While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.

3.10. Release the throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.

The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this Ignition. If the scan tool indicates that DTC P0315 ran and passed, the CKP variation learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P0315 failed or did not run, refer to DTC P0315 . If any other DTCs set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle for the applicable DTC that set.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

now you told me i could just change the crank sensor with a 99% chance of doing nothing but change it. in this reply the statement says if the crank sensor is replaced then i need to have it back to the dealer for a relearn. or did i miss something here.

no i was not in the bay when they did the relearn. of all your following statements
the ecm was replaced and i just replaced the crank sensor. so now do i have to go and get the ECU relearned? this is getting old.

Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn
Important: The crankshaft position (CKP) system variation learn procedure is required when the following service procedures have been performed, regardless of whether DTC P0315 is set:
• Engine replacement no

• Engine control module (ECM) replacement yes

• Crankshaft damper replacement no

• Crankshaft replacement no

• CKP sensor replacement sensore was replaced yes

• Any engine repairs which disturb the crankshaft to CKP sensor relationship no

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
You are missing my point. I believe your dealer never successfully did the PCM relearn.

That is what GM recommends but 99% of the time it is not necessary if your PCM was properly programmed in the first place.

Don't know if I'm making myself clear.

Last edited by Coby7; 11-01-2012 at 02:52 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

thanks. i will have to take it back maybe next Saturday. and have them do it again. this time i will stand out where i can see what is going on or have a different gm dealer redo it. like i said this is really getting old. i guess i just don't have the patience for this. i fix machines all day long and i don't have time to go back and redo what i did so i just fix them correct the first time. but anyway i will keep you all posted as this continues. bp.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

corvairbob,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having troubles with your ECU; if you would like for me to check into this further with your dealership, please send me a private message with more information (including your name and contact information, as well as the last 8 digits of your VIN and the name of your dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

ok took car to the dealer and they now tell me the po315 code is this from the repair order
98875 verfiedses light, ses light is on for 02 sensor bank 1 sensor 1

100 electrical diagnosis 251 clevenger,chris lic# m214517 cr3

i have scanned the work order and will send it to anyone that can tell me why this code on the internet says crank not learned and the dealer now says it is an 02 sensor. this sensor is new. i suppose the new sensor could be bad. but before i change it i need to know if this is correct. thanks bp.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

well based on this report i will get a new o2 sensor again. let last one i got a few weeks ago was from rock auto. i installed 10-4-12 o.e. premium sensor ap4-349 APWI Part # AP4349 UPSTREAM. so aside from going to the chevy dealer and getting it from them what would be a good replacement 02 upstream sensor. and where should i get it. coby7 do you have a preference? thanks.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Read through this thread to see if it can help you.

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/pro...-sensor-3.html

Since I don't know if you're american or Canadian I can't suggest a place but according to lots of people on here ACDelco or OEM because all others seem to fail very quickly or are not at all compatible. Also make sure you look up proper vehicle year and engine size.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

ok i will go to gm and get one of theres then install it and if the problem comes back i will post what i find i'm in michigan and the car is american equipped. thanks coby7.
bp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode