Not So Funny Fuel Pump Problem - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Not So Funny Fuel Pump Problem

My girlfriend has a 2006 Chevy Cobalt, a friend of ours thought it would be funny to pull out her fuel pump fuse before she needed to leave for an important meeting at work. After she tried to start her car, it ran for a moment and then shut down. He finally told us what he did, reinstalled the fuse and shut the hood. Now the vehicle only cranks but will not start. I checked to make sure he put it back in the right spot and he did, I listened the for the pump but hear nothing when the key is turned over in the run position. I replaced the relay with identical relays in the fuse box and put the spare 15amp fuse in the fuel pump fuse spot. As she tried to turn the car over i held down the fuel rails schrader valve and got not fuel. Ive tried priming the lines multiple times but turning the key and still nothing. The next day she went out to try and start it, it ran for 45 seconds then shut back off again...and i cannot get it to start now again. I have given all of the information I could provide, does anyone know what may be causing this no start issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Doing this might have collapsed the fuel filter's cartridge inside. Maybe replacing filter will get the fuel flowing again.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Bet you that guy isn't feeling so funny either....

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Hope somebody drove that poor girl to her meeting.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I will try that tomorrow after work, my question to that would be will the collapsed catridge cause the pump to not prime during the key being set to the run position? The fuse powers the relay I would imagine, so without a fuse the relay would not work, thus the pump would not be on correct?

Thank you for the quick response, and yes I drove her to the meeting.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Forum Regular

Is there another fuel pump fuse? Maybe in the kick panel on passenger side? If the key was in the on position when you put the fuse back in it could've popped another.......maybe? But it will prime up even if you had an obstruction in the line like a collapsed fuel filter.....which is really just a couple screens with filter material squished between them. Maybe it put itself in some kind of protection mode. This is a weird one,try resetting it by disconnecting the battery. Probably not the problem but worth a try I suppose. Good luck!

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

It could've gone into theft mode as well for some reason,I've had that issue a time or two with gm products. Maybe one of the more seasoned cobalt guys will chime in here.

2006 Cobalt ls,18" motegi rims,eibach extreme spring,koni yellows,real carbon fiber bolt on hood with scoop,redline spoiler,projector halo headlights,20% tint,carbon fiber bowties,custom carbon fiber dash kit,carbon fiber side mirrors, k&n typhoon cai ,full magnaflow exhaust with pacesetter header,twm short throw shifter,rzo weighted shift knob,ac delco iridium plugs,3 gauge pillar with a/f ratio,oil pressure,volt meter,alpine ina-w19 dd touch,everything else alpine as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode