Humming Noise, Bearing Under Warranty? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Humming Noise, Bearing Under Warranty?

For the last week i've been getting a humming noise when after letting off the gas as she slows down. From what I've read it's mostly the wheel bearings though unsure of which side or both. One member said he got his replaced under warranty around 50k. Is That true?

I'm at 32k but My 3/36 has expired 2 months ago (underdriven) and the powertrain doesn't cover shit lol.

2010 Cobalt 2LT Victory red Coupe
Mods: Tinted 50% ceramic all around, factory spoiler, 2008 LE5 2.4 Throttle body, GMPP Intake, Walker stock exhaust system (back to silence), TruBendz/MBE 2.5" catted Downpipe, HP Tuners by Chenry Motorsports, Alpine CDE-151 with USB port, Rockford Fosgate 300-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Levee
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
I honestly don't think it's still covered under warranty. As far as the sound goes, you can tell if it's a wheel bearing as the sound would be there all the time, and gets louder or quieter depending on the direction your turning. If you only hear the humming while slowing down, that either has to do with the transmission, or mounts. So are you getting the noise constantly or just when you slow down?

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Just when I slow down and it doesn't make the noise when turning. I'll have to drive again to double check.

Mods: Tinted 50% ceramic all around, factory spoiler, 2008 LE5 2.4 Throttle body, GMPP Intake, Walker stock exhaust system (back to silence), TruBendz/MBE 2.5" catted Downpipe, HP Tuners by Chenry Motorsports, Alpine CDE-151 with USB port, Rockford Fosgate 300-10

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Levee
Admin

Garage
Then the humming is definitely not a wheel bearing. Hate to be the one to tell you that.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

I checked the 2010 Chevrolet Warranty manual, Cliff, and see that wheel bearings are excluded from coverage. If you have further questions about what is covered by the powertrain warranty I'm happy to help! Please include your name and contact information as well as the last 8 digits of your VIN if you should contact me via private message.
Sarah, GM Customer Service

Have you checked into Chevrolet Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.chevrolet.com!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Just came back from the dealership it was a worn left front hub bearing. Replaced and noise is gone. Yes to my surprise it was replaced under Powertrain warranty.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Levee
Admin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
Just came back from the dealership it was a worn left front hub bearing. Replaced and noise is gone. Yes to my surprise it was replaced under Powertrain warranty.
Glad to hear that you got it fixed, it's just really odd that you only heard it when stopping. 99.9999% of the time, you will hear the bearing humming all the time and it will get louder or quieter while you are turning in different directions. I guess yours is the .00001% that defies that! Don't you just love cars!

'09 SS/TC - Stolen

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

It wasn't til the last few days I've started hearing the noise when turning right and thought it had to be the hub. Better safe then sorry

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Levee
Admin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
It wasn't til the last few days I've started hearing the noise when turning right and thought it had to be the hub. Better safe then sorry
Agreed! It's always better safe than sorry. Glad you now know what that sound is for future reference. And now you can understand what I mean by the sound getting louder when turning . See some good learning experiences! Again, glad you got it fixed though.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Newcomer

These cars seem to have front wheel bearing issues, I have replaced two front one's on a low mileage 2009. Over 50 under 60K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode