Heater Clicking and Wind Noise - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Heater Clicking and Wind Noise

Hey guys,

I'm new here, I just bought myself a 2007 Cobalt, 4 door, white, with all the power options and features. I have upgraded to this car from a 1992 Ford F150, so I know nothing about the newer cars.

Everything runs great, and I had a couple recalls done at the local dealership. The only problems I have with it, well more like annoyances, are the heater fan has an annoying clicking noise when it's on. Also I am getting wind noise from the driver's side door.

I am thinking replace the blower motor and the door's weather seal.

Are all the blower motors like this? Is there an aftermarket replacement I can get that won't be as annoying as the factory one?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Staff Alumni

the heaters all do it, just a typical cobalt thing. They are a semi-pita to change because they need to be cut out.

For the door, how does it line up with the fender, roof, back door?

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
For the heater start by replacing the cabin air filter. While the filter is out, run the fan to see if you can hear the noise, you might have a tree leaf or pine needle stuck somewhere. Vacuum the inside if you have dirt that made it pass the filter then insert new clean fresh filter (your lungs will love you for it).

As far as door wind noise verify that weather strip is not torn at the top, if it's OK check that top right corner of door is even with other corner of other door. If not like mine was, you'll need to bend the door frame a little. I had a body shop do it because they knew exactly what to do and where to place the block of wood and how much force to apply. They didn't charge anything for this adjustment. I know it sounds barbaric but that's how it's done. Mine didn't even make a whisper after I left there.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 12-12-2012 at 09:33 AM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Welcome to the forum and to the Cobalt family, newcobaltdriver!

While I can't offer advice on how-to matters, if you had questions about warranties, recalls, the operation of your vehicle's features, or wanted assistance in the process of working with a dealership, let us know!

Sarah, GM Customer Service

Have you checked into Chevrolet Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.chevrolet.com!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by money_man View Post
the heaters all do it, just a typical cobalt thing. They are a semi-pita to change because they need to be cut out.

For the door, how does it line up with the fender, roof, back door?
Ok, well it's not THAT noticeable with music on. I think I can live with it. My old daily driver had plenty of squeaks and creaks, so this is nothing compared to that. Otherwise it is a very smooth and quiet running car.

I will check the door alignment, I'll get a picture on here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
For the heater start by replacing the cabin air filter. While the filter is out, run the fan to see if you can hear the noise, you might have a tree leaf or pine needle stuck somewhere. Vacuum the inside if you have dirt that made it pass the filter then insert new clean fresh filter (your lungs will love you for it).

As far as door wind noise verify that weather strip is not torn at the top, if it's OK check that top right corner of door is even with other corner of other door. If not like mine was, you'll need to bend the door frame a little. I had a body shop do it because they knew exactly what to do and where to place the block of wood and how much force to apply. They didn't charge anything for this adjustment. I know it sounds barbaric but that's how it's done. Mine didn't even make a whisper after I left there.
Thank you! I will have a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCustSvc View Post
Welcome to the forum and to the Cobalt family, newcobaltdriver!

While I can't offer advice on how-to matters, if you had questions about warranties, recalls, the operation of your vehicle's features, or wanted assistance in the process of working with a dealership, let us know!

Thanks Sarah! Is there any way to enable XM radio on my Cobalt? I don't have a satellite radio antenna above the rear window, so I'm thinking I will have to upgrade to a new stereo unit to get XM?

- Alex
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Alex -

If you were to send me the last 8 digits of your VIN, I can look at your vehicle build to better answer that questions. My email is in the signature to this post if you can't yet use the private messaging system.

Have you checked into Chevrolet Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.chevrolet.com!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
If you "upgrade" to a newer stock radio you will have to get it unlocked at your dealership which = $$$ You will be better off getting an aftermarket stereo with XM and going from there.

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCustSvc View Post
Alex -

If you were to send me the last 8 digits of your VIN, I can look at your vehicle build to better answer that questions. My email is in the signature to this post if you can't yet use the private messaging system.

I'll do that, because I don't think mine is XM equipped, but might as well find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbalts View Post
If you "upgrade" to a newer stock radio you will have to get it unlocked at your dealership which = $$$ You will be better off getting an aftermarket stereo with XM and going from there.
Thanks! Just happened to notice you are here in MN as well. I grew up in the TC and am now living in the Grand Rapids area.

And Coby7 -

My door looks exactly like the picture you posted. It's not lined up properly. And the weather stripping is not torn, although it looks a little deformed on the right corner.

Last edited by newcobaltdriver; 12-12-2012 at 02:00 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Nice, there are about five of us from MN on here. Come down some time this summer and cruise, race, relax. And welcome to the forum.

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Staff Alumni

If you're good at basic mechanical things then you can prob line up your own door, if not then a bodyshop shouldnt cost much to do it.

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode