Bi xenon HID will not go to high beam? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Bi xenon HID will not go to high beam?

I have a 2006 cobalt ls, 2.2 ecotec motor, 5 speed. I recently installed HID headlights into the factory assembly. They are the bi xenon lights. Anyone know why when I flip on the high beams they flicker but the bulb position doesn't change? They just stay in the low beam position? I'm thinking I have a wiring problem but I'm not sure. Any help/ideas are greatly appreciated.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Staff Alumni

Take my advice with a grain of salt, but my initial thoughts would be:

1. Is the kit operating properly? Where did you buy your kit from?
2. Do the stock housings obstruct the lens shade/shield?

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I bought my kit from Ebay, my #1 mistake. Definitely not doing that again. I've talked to the seller of them and they claim that there it's nothing wrong with their kit.

I'll double check but I don't think they are being obstructed.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Staff Alumni

You might be able to run a dry test out of the housing to check, but I'd be careful if doing so. Not that it helps in hindsight, but theretrofitsource always seems to have high quality stuff. I was amazed when I switched over after going the cheap-o route.

I forgot to ask, if you could give some more information on the exact product and what parts you received/installed we might be able to help better. I suppose it's possible that we're missing something there.

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff

Last edited by stratosproject; 12-19-2012 at 09:44 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Well, I was going to post a picture of the whole kit but it says I'm not allowed. I'll see of we can't pull one side apart tonight and test them.

I received a relay wiring harness, 2 ballasts, 2 6000k bi xenon bulbs. It is such a crappy set there is literally not even a brand name on them. I mean on low beam they are 2x's brighter than my factory high beam were so I'm happy as far as brightness goes. The company I received them from asked me to check the ballasts and the bulbs. Well the bulbs are turning on so I don't think that's the problem. I just don't see both ballasts being bad from the factory. I sorta jumped into these as a test so that's why I started out with cheapies. I didn't even really know much about them but since they were put in I have done a bunch of research. Is out possible we plugged something in backwards? Is it possible that the hi, lo, and ground wires could be different prongs on the factory side than they are on aftermarket kit?

Last edited by minihorse927; 12-19-2012 at 10:12 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
to post a picture you will have to upload it to a photo sharing site, i use photobucket, then paste the IMG link here. When i did my HID it was pretty much impossible to plug things to the wrong way but i got mine from buyhids so probably they got a more PNP solution. I would say double check your connections though

WA636R - Switchblade Silver Mt 09 Sedan LT 2.2L LAP......Auto!

MODS:Fe5 TC Shock + Struts\Moog Endlinks\YYZ V1 Springs\SC Gunmetal Wheels. Badmab Shorty Header\GMPP Performance Exhaust\ZZP 2.5 Catted DP\K&N Drop-in filter\High Flow Intake Tube. Gen4 Headlights\6K Low Beam HID\LED 3rd Brake Light\LED Turn Signals,Plate,Trunk, Dome, Reverse, Side-marker\ Debadge "LT" & GM fender badges\Shorty Antenna

Join YC.com on Facebook! Like YC.com on facebook too!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Well a really stupid question I didn't think about earlier. Since there's that little wire that comes out of the bulbs and goes over top of them does that have to be sitting in anything certain position?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode