Have to Be 5ft from the Car to Work - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Unhappy Have to Be 5ft from the Car to Work

So i just got my balt back from the dealership for some repairs and lucky me everything was covered either by GM or by the National Warranty Co thingy i got with the car... But one issue i told them about they couldnt duplicate it or something like that. When my Left Rear TPMS module started bugging out about a month ago i would get the Svc Tire Monitor warning and the tire light.. But also the range for BOTH my remotes droped to like 5 ft from the car then i could unlock, lock, remote start..... Brought my car to the Discount tire that a few months before replaced my back 2 tires, and they tried the TMPS relearn but with the Left Rear tire they had to try a few times and weird positions to get it to finally get a reading. Well that got the light and the warning to go away but only for a few days. went back and they couldnt get it to finish the relearn because of that one tire so since i was bringing my balt into the dealership anyways i waited on replacing the Module.. All the dealership did was got all the tires to relearn so the warning went away again but i still have to be right next to the car to get the fob to work... anyone else had this issue? Right now its just bugging me and if the light comes back on im bringing it back to the dealership but kinda makes having remote start lame... turns it into local start Hahaha I'm so cool i can start my car standing right outside of it..

Current: 25% tint driver and pass, 18% rear driver, pass and back windows. Shorty Antenna, K&N Intake Short Ram.Gloss black painted trim, taillights tinted, black headlight housing, LED trunk, reverse, and licence plate lights, Fender hash marks, black chevy symbols, Debaged and deleted side thingys. Thong hanging from rearview mirror..

Next: Head and Tailights, Exaust, Lowering Springs.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
It looks like the RCDLR module might be weak, either because the antenna has a bad connection or the module itself might be bad. If you are sure your FOBs are 100%, that your 22733524 FOB batteries (CR2032)are good (they should read over 3Volts) and the button pads are good, then I would have your dealer look at the RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver) module, it also reads the TPMS signals. It's located under the dash pad.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 12-21-2012 at 07:33 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Could it be because of my antenna getting stolen? i went to seattle and while we were there someone stole my shorty antenna, had the reg antenna to put back on but after that it started having issues... might go and try taking it off again and putting some of the silicone stuff that came with the other antenna.. but right now the tpms light is off but once it comes back on im going back to get them to figure it out...

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

and yes i have brand new batteries in both remotes, on i need to fix the battery connection just havent gone out to buy the iron but the remote i know is good works fine just have to be right by the car

Current: 25% tint driver and pass, 18% rear driver, pass and back windows. Shorty Antenna, K&N Intake Short Ram.Gloss black painted trim, taillights tinted, black headlight housing, LED trunk, reverse, and licence plate lights, Fender hash marks, black chevy symbols, Debaged and deleted side thingys. Thong hanging from rearview mirror..

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theparker View Post
Could it be because of my antenna getting stolen? i went to seattle and while we were there someone stole my shorty antenna, had the reg antenna to put back on but after that it started having issues... might go and try taking it off again and putting some of the silicone stuff that came with the other antenna.. but right now the tpms light is off but once it comes back on im going back to get them to figure it out...

and yes i have brand new batteries in both remotes, on i need to fix the battery connection just havent gone out to buy the iron but the remote i know is good works fine just have to be right by the car
The RCDLR antenna is different from radio antenna and runs under dash pad the lenght of the windshield.

New battery doesn't fix worn out carbon under button pads. Most people think it's the battery when their FOBs start to fail, but it's the button pads. I replaced pads in 16 out of 17 FOBs I fixed on thursday.

Last edited by Coby7; 12-22-2012 at 06:43 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

thats really a good point i didnt think about the pads, just i guess thought things shouldnt be that worn since its an 09 with less than 45k on it but in all actuality that could be adding to my prob

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I repair 2011 FOBs. It just depends how You use them and how careful you are. Any debris,water hand oils,sweat that finds it's way in ends up first at the start button then lock and unlock because your FOB, if attached to your key, always ends up with the start button pointing downwards. I have found that GM key FOB's worst enemie is hand sweat, because it finds it's way in ,somehow, and eats away at the carbon that is glued to the rubber contact surface.

Of course second enemie is throwing your FOB repeatedly on the counter or dropping them on the floor, that will break the battery clip away from the circuit board.

Last edited by Coby7; 12-22-2012 at 07:04 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

yeah i cant vouch for the previous owner but i know I do what i cant to take care of them

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Panic button or Car locator button (The red one)

Try this button at a distance because it is always the last to fail. If it works at 50ft so should your un-lock.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

tired panic button mutiple times today and it worked same as the others only like 5 ft away and my SVC tire monitor light came back on just like 20 min ago....

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Then it must be your RCDLR module.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode