I Might Buy An 06 SS Just Hit 90k Miles.. for 9k. Should I Be Worried? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I Might Buy An 06 SS Just Hit 90k Miles.. for 9k. Should I Be Worried?

*I Spelled Buy wrong on thread title* oops =P anyways.. As a honda driver, i tend to be skeptic about many other brands.. especially chevy, but i love the cobalt SS look.. It seems to run good.. I am approved to get this 06 Silver cobalt SS supercharged model from a chevy dealer for just over $9k that has 90,000 miles on it..so i don't know 100% if maintenance and service has kept up right on it, but is there some things i should look for? and whats required im assuming there are 100k mile services recommended. ..also, i'd like this car to last, i'm not gonna be romping on it.. do these cars last up to 200k miles well? has anyone heard of these cars starting to have lots of issues going from 100k miles to 200k? don't wanna waste money on something i can't sell in 2 years at around 150k miles.

any honest input and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Coby7; 01-15-2013 at 01:39 PM. Reason: title spelling error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Gawd of Thunda!
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SpeedyCobalt
Treat err right and youll have no problems going over 200k. I wouldn't be worried, Also most dealers, where I am located anyways do a free service/checkup/ oil change on it once sold, atleast they did for mine. I wouldn't be worried at all, my cobalt is an 05 and just hit 110k no problems at all and love it.

welcome to the forums btw!

2005 Stealth grey metallic 2DR Standard Base Model
2006 Burnt Orange 2DR Standard SS
MY SHOWOFF THREAD

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Great! ..that makes me feel more comfertible with your input! Much appreciated. I will go ahead and ask them about that free check up and service you mentioned you got for yours. I live in WA state near Seattle. I will be treating her right and will keep it maintained. Just didn't know how reliable they are after 100k miles even if well kept. I may pick it up today or tomorrow then, and i'll be on these forums often!

but just curious.. does anyone know of anyone running 200k+ miles on an ss 05+?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Gawd of Thunda!
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SpeedyCobalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoWaYsCSS View Post
Great! ..that makes me feel more comfertible with your input! Much appreciated. I will go ahead and ask them about that free check up and service you mentioned you got for yours. I live in WA state near Seattle. I will be treating her right and will keep it maintained. Just didn't know how reliable they are after 100k miles even if well kept. I may pick it up today or tomorrow then, and i'll be on these forums often!

but just curious.. does anyone know of anyone running 200k+ miles on an ss 05+?
Ive heard of people with over 150k-200k but cant remember who or if it was on this forum. Also if the dealership doesn't offer it then hassle them for it, or bargain the price down, when I bought my cobalt they wanted 7k and I brought it donw to 5.

2005 Stealth grey metallic 2DR Standard Base Model
2006 Burnt Orange 2DR Standard SS
MY SHOWOFF THREAD

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Look for any typical noises that you would look for in any higher milage car. The cobalt was a fairly well built car. I race the piss out of mine and it has 140k. You will certainly want to replace the timing tensioner since the earlier year balts came with an inferior one, not too expensive to have piece of mind. If you buy, congrats you bought a fine machine. Feel free to ask questions here and as always, get a carfax!

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Yeah there was someone on here that was at 220 before someone totalled it (not his fault)

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

All of you have been very helpful! I greatly appreciate it. I've always wanted this machine, but I'm a newbie to american cars after owning Integras all my life, all i've heard is how unreliable american cars can be compared to a honda powered car. Just didn't know how well it would last and how strong its motor and tranny are even with forced induction by the supercharger. You guys are keeping my hopes high! I wanna support our american beast machines!

actually.. I had a 98 ford contour SVT model when i was in high school before getting integra gsrs.. I was at the "illegal" street drags locally in seattle, and my tranny blew revving it up to like 6k rpms and dropping the clutch blowing something out of the tranny.. luckily I had extended warranty and a reasonable faulty excuse to get it fixed =P but never again will I really be fond of a ford. Hoping Chevy can prove itself different as you all are showing me it will. But like I said, I will not be driving it hard, I'm a single father, 26 raising my 4 year old daughter.. would just like a newer car that is fun I know has some balls. American balls! lol

Again! Thanks Much.
Anymore input is welcome.
..The more the better until I get it!
at work now, gonna talk to them tonight
see about tomorrow picking it up but first
i'll try some bargaining ;)

Last edited by JoWaYsCSS; 01-15-2013 at 12:53 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
I used to race Honda and Acura since my friends all have them. It's just talk that Foreign owners spew about the reliability of an American car. Shoot, Honda is mostly made here in the US now!!

I completely agree with you on the Ford though. Never have and never will like that company.

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Initiate

Just make sure the SC isn't noisy, shifts are smooth, clutch feels right, no spitting/sputtering on acceleration, as well as no other noises, clunks/creeks or vibrations. Try to ask as many questions about the car itself, who traded it in and why. If the dealership inspected the car, ask to see a copy of what services were done.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
My whole family owns Chevy with my cobalt being the latest. I have an 01 suburban, 08 silverado, and the 09 cobalt. Already have almost 50k on the balt and have never had a single thing wrong. Never had anything wrong with the 120k suburban or 70k silverado. Chevy's a great brand, hope you enjoy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks.. I wouldn't have thought of those questions so I will be asking those questions and will take for one more good test drive to check a cpl things u mentioned I wasn't paying attention to!

And thanks for sharing your reliability experiences with your chevys kev.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode