Should I Be Worried? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Should I Be Worried?

ok,so car has been running good and everything. ran it one night absolutly no problems. it sat a say because i didnt go anywhere and then the following day got in it to go to the dr.when i went to start it the dash read engine power reduced and it idled funny a little before dying.then i tried starting it again and it died,then tried again then nothing. i waited a few min and checked everything under the hood and everything seems perfectly normal and fine.went to start it and it started just fine,ran perfectly normal,all the power felt like it was there.today i ran it and again perfectly normal.still that engine power reduced that read on the dash kind of scares me cuz i am kind of ocd on my car.should i be worried? if so what would cause that?oil has been changed like clockwork every 3k miles,has barly been pushed at all lately,actually lately i have hardly drove it compared to what i usually do.engine sounds and runs perfectly fine.the engine light has been on since last time i was at the delership 2 or 3 years ago when they didnt program the bcm into the computer but aside that i havnt had any codes.but i might take it to a buddy with a scan tool tommorow and see if any new codes have arrived and if so what they are.but i guess my qustion is since that happened and it is has been running perfectly fine and a ok since should i really be concerned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Yes, but not overly. Get it scanned again to see if anything comes up. Have you changed the fuel filter ever?

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

i know that needs done,just havnt had time or money to do it,but its never done that before.maybe a little trouble starting after i fill up on gas but never anything saying engine power reduced.ill look at codes tommorow and see whats up then see about doing the fuel filter this weekend if i can

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

btw its at 85k miles now if that helps with anything

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1R View Post
maybe a little trouble starting after i fill up on gas but never anything saying engine power reduced.ill look at codes tommorow and see whats up then see about doing the fuel filter this weekend if i can
Hard starting after fill-up is your purge solenoid mounted on the end of the head drivers side.

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

When you looked under the hood did you also look at the fuses? These cars are notorius for corrosion on the fuse tabs. Always good to remove and put them back once in a while. I do it end of summer every year.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 01-15-2013 at 03:48 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
When you looked under the hood did you also look at the fuses? These cars are notorius for corrosion on the fuse tabs. Always good to remove and put them back once in a while. I do it end of summer every year.
Coby,

I oftentimes hose down the motor when I wash the car and I'm wondering if that could increase the probability that I'll have a corrosion /oxidation issue with the fuses that are in the engine compartment.

Do you use anything like an electronics spray cleaner or a silicone spray on the fuses when you're in there?

TIA

2010 Cobalt XFE
2006 Chevy Colorado 4x4
2005 Toyota Corolla
2013 Kubota M5640 SUD
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
dielectric grease can't hurt and I don't think washing under the hood promotes corrosion. Road grime is the worse.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

yea,i checked fuses,one of the 1st things i did when i noticed everything else under the hood seemed fine.but ill have to look into that purge valve.been like that pretty much since i got the car a few years back and just havnt had time to look into it.i mean first crank over its a little trouble getting to start unless i give it some gas and then its fine,but only at fill ups,the problem i was complaining about i hadnt put any gas into it or anything and it did that and the engine power reduced came up and thats nver came up before.but since then its been perfectly fine,havnt gotten to check codes tho.buddies been busy.might go to advanced or autozone to get it checked out.then again half the people that work there dont know anything about cars lol.i should know,i used to work at advanced and our parts pro that was probably 20 years older than me had to keep asking me and the other guys what certain parts do and all that lol
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Just borrow a reader from your local shop and look up what each code means. No need to wait.

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Contributor

Thanks!

2010 Cobalt XFE
2006 Chevy Colorado 4x4
2005 Toyota Corolla
2013 Kubota M5640 SUD
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

all i gotta do is use the code scanner at advanced and it will tell me the codes,i can write them down but it gives you a generality of what it could be.but if i write down the codes i can easilly look up what they are.thats how i figured out about the bcm. just want to wait til i go to town for something else too.i try to make every trip count now a days seeing as i have sh!t for cash.especially since i had to move back home with my parents and drop my job off and all that.because of a bad roomate up when i was going to college.could tell the whole story but its long but ended up costing me 1400 bucks,lost my house,and had to drop out of college and quit my job.ive vented a lot through friends and stuff about it so i am ok with it now,but still if i see him again i will shoot him lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode