Losing Electrical Power on 09 Cobalt LT - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Losing Electrical Power on 09 Cobalt LT

My wife was driving her 09 Cobalt LT with 90k miles on it, and out of nowhere her gauges started goin crazy (going back and forth rapidly), lights dimmed, stereo shut off, and then her car died. She had no idea if there was a battery light or check engine light because all the lights on the dash came on when it started acting up. Her friend disco'd the battery for about 5 mins and the car started and ran just fine and she proceeded to drive 45 miles home with no issues. I was at work when all this happened so I didn't get to see what it did. I checked all connections that I could think of (battery, alternator, ecm, fuse boxes, etc) and found nothing. I can't get the car to duplicate the issue. Anyone have any suggestions of what this could be? I thought it was the alternator at first but the car seems fine now. Oh and approx 6 mos ago she had the crankshaft timing sensor replaced, but other than that, just normal maintenance. Any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Staff Alumni

Just some initial thoughts...

You might want to check your serpentine belt and make sure it's tight. Then start the car and make sure that the alternator pulley is rotating properly. If you have a multimeter (or can borrow one from an auto store), check your voltages. Battery voltage at rest should be between 12.4-12.7 V. When the car is running and the alternator is on, it should be 14-15.5 V. Anything dramatically less should tell you if there's something wrong there.

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Sweet. Thanks man. I buddy of mine has one so we'll give that a shot. The belt looks good and the alternator spins smooth n free when I took the belt tension off.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Staff Alumni

Checking your voltages will hopefully at least eliminate a couple things. If you can, also poke around and check grounds all over the place. If things check out, we'll go from there. Tons of very knowledgeable people here! Check back for better answers lol.

My Showoff
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Battery is at 12.5 and the alternator is sittin right around 14.7. All the grounds I could think of seem solid and clean. Would the weather have anything to do with it? It was about 5 degrees out when it happened. But it's been colder than that and never had an issue. We're taking it to a friend that's an ASE cert GM mechanic tomorrow to see if he can find anything. My wife is driving my truck and we live on an Air Force base so I'm close to work anyways. But I'm gonna drive it to work n see if anything happens. It's acting just fine right now though.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Staff Alumni

Well, that's some good news. I don't see how weather would cause those symptoms, however. And you said the battery terminals are clean, right?

If it happens again, I'd suspect a charging issue or short somewhere still. Is it possible that something was left on for a period of time before the car was driven? There may be/have been parasitic drag on the battery.

My Showoff
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I would check to see if boost post is loose. Even unscrew it and pull it tight again to scrape any corrosion.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode